Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37681 - 10/05/01 08:38 AM Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
beckham Offline

Loc: ireland
I will be staying at the Hostal Biarritz, C/Victoria, Puerta Del Sol in Nov but I am a bit worried now as a spanish girl I know just tell me that Puerta Del Sol is a bad area, and that there is a lot of tourist mugging's , I am a bit confused as to what to do with money and my passport, going through the past threads, they are unsafe in the hostal room and you risk being robbed if you bring them all with you! I am quite scared now, friends of mine will be working so I will be visiting places on my own, not a lot though, I was even thinking of cancelling, any thoughts?

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37682 - 10/05/01 12:32 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
Dont you ever have burgularies or muggings where you live?Madrid feels much safer than any other City I ever spend much time in-including my own-especially at night.That said its common sense to keep ypur eyes and ears open and take the sort of precaution you would anywhere-including home.

#37683 - 10/05/01 12:35 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
jeffperez62 Offline

Loc: connecticut USA
I was in a hotel just off the puerta del sol for about 2 weeks in sept. We really had no problems. However, we did witness a pickpocket in action. Be smart and don't look like a tourist. when looking at a street map, do so in your hotel lobby and not out in the street. If you must read a map in the street, do it discreetly i.e. put the map in a newspaper or something. Try not to walk around too much at night (except for the better areas) take a cab instead, they are quick, cheap and all over the place. Spain is a great country and madrid is a great city, but like all other major cities around the world, they have crime. Do not carry your passport. Make a photocopy of it and carry that instesd. smile

#37684 - 10/05/01 12:48 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
beckham, does this Spanish girl you mention live IN Madrid?? Something may have been lost in the translation because Puerta del Sol is NOT known for tourist muggings, but rather IS known for tourist (and local) pickpocketing and possibly purse snatching. But muggings by force or with a weapon are rare in Spain. You DO hear stories from time to time, but maybe in small percentage of cases.

I've ALWAYS felt very very safe in Puerta del Sol both during the day (especially!) and even late late at night while crossing at 2am from the Easyeverything cybercafe to Hostal Aresol. There are usually many people there all night long, people going to clubs, late night dinners, etcetera, so you're never alone.

I wouldn't take your passport with you on the streets though. Make a copy of the inside front cover and take that along while leaving the real thing in your bags in your room or in the hotels/hostels lock box if they have one. I wouldn't worry too much about the security of your stuff in your room while you're gone either. The key is NOT to take anything valuable in the first place. I know, cameras, souvenirs, etcetera, but what are you going to do?

I'd say your highest risk of being targeted would be during the day when the Puerta del Sol is FULL of people. Pickpocketers have an easier time in this kind of environment. Good luck and don't worry about it!! laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37685 - 10/05/01 01:04 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Well MadridMan,
Regarding Video cameras and souvenirs, and an that extra pair of shoes we must carry with us, I am going to share a hint that I learned in Mexico City which is also well known for pickpockets! This can work for both men and women. Instead of taking a purse or daypack I took a cheap diaperbag that you buy at Big Lots or K-mart for $5, I used it to put my video camera, my extra pair of Ecco shoes and wallet, and on top I took a Pamper that looked like a kid had just used and I walked all over that city, in places even Mexicans would fear to tread and not once did anyone try to steal my purse. It sounds ridiculous, but hey it worked for me. In the Metro or buses instead of people crowding me, the minute they eyed that diaper bag they slid away, with a grimace on their face,I am sure saying to themselves what an untidy person I was and what lack of grace to bring such a thing in public. wink

#37686 - 10/05/01 07:50 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
Gross Booklady, I think you're kidding! Hey, but if it works. If I have any worries I simply pin my pocket shut with a good safety pin. I don't use all the fancy security things like money belts.

#37687 - 10/05/01 08:26 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
beckham! Don't cancel! Sol is just fine, especially when compared to many other districts in Madrid, and many other (smaller!) cities. A wary eye, a "non-tourist" look and some common sense, and you'll be fine.

Regarding the "where to put it" questions: Make sure you have photocopies of your passport in someplace other than where your body is. A great way to do it (as posted by another cybernaut here) is to scan the image and save it onto a personal web page on the net. International access when needed, should a "Roman" Finger find you in a crowded plaza.

#37688 - 10/05/01 10:48 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
rere: I said a diaper that was rolled that looked like it was used, Not that it was used! Yes, it was very effective. smile

#37689 - 10/05/01 11:51 PM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I always look specifically for lodging IN or NEAR Puerta del Sol. It's a very comfortable and safe place as long as you're smart--as you have to be in any city around the world. I'm going to NYC tomorrow (spur of the moment, or else we could have had our dinner NOW!!), and I'll be staying near Times Square. It's a safer place than it was 10 years ago, but, as in Madrid, Rome, Paris, or London, I'm still going to keep my valuables close at hand and not get distracted.

You could encounter pickpockets, which can easily be avoided by 'staying alert': don't keep your wallet in your back pocket-use an under your clothes belt if you can- and don't scream tourist-as someone else mentioned: hide or fold your map up small, and walk like you know where you're going, even if you don't! Puerta del Sol is filled with great shops-both touristy and non-touristy, and it's the center of all the fun, it would be a shame not to be based there! Have a great trip!

De Madrid al Cielo!

-GG

#37690 - 10/06/01 05:08 AM Re: Puerta Del Sol (Madrid)
el Perrito Offline

Loc: Suecia
I have last 7-8 years spent in total at least 2-3 months in Madrid and I would regard the central parts of the city as safe (safer than Stockholm where I live, anyway).

It used to be much worse, maybe ten years ago, I have been told (the end of the "Movida" epoca). Also there are places you should be careful with in the central area,late at night. Masalaña, Callao (close to Sol) and maybe Lavapies. In the Sol area and the S:ta Ana area (Huertas) you should be fine (like in most better neighbouhoods) all night long. And the night can be very long.

Pickpockets you have to be aware of.I would like to say though, for all the crowds I have been in, all the places I have stayed, all the bars and restaurants i visited, the only thing I lost was a Baseball Cap (which most likely fell out of my pocket).

Try to contact someone people from the US who live there and have the same perspective about safety as yourself, ask for their opinion.

Disfruta el Sol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2583 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments