Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37655 - 09/16/01 01:16 PM Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Marcel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hola,

Hopefully I will be coming to Madrid on the 29th of September to study at a language school. But recently my friend in Spain has said that the American embassy has issued a warning to American students saying to keep a low profile due to the recent tragic events in New York City. My friend also said that she was harassed because she was American and felt unsafe because there seems to be an Anti-American sentiment growing in Spain. Is there any truth to this? Should I be worried about this? Thank you for any responses

Saludos,
Marcel

P.S. I would like to say that I very impressed by this message board and all those who partake in it. The recent posts on the recent New York incident have been deeply touching and my heart goes out to all the victims involved and all those everywhere who have been affected by this horrible tragedy. But we must stay strong and pray for those in need.

#37656 - 09/16/01 01:53 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
jdowney Offline

Loc: Newport Beach, Ca. 92663
Dear Marcel,
I have been living and working in Spain since August 2001. Not very long but let me tell you what happened to me durning the terrorsit attacks and the days following. Spaniards bought me breakfast, free drinks and gave me their address incase I or my family needed a place to stay. They would pull me aside and tell me how sorry they are that this happened and ask me if there was anything I needed or anything that they could do for me. I have been overwhelmed by the support and warmth of the spanish people. I am an obvious non-spanish person and during this whole terrible attack, I was made to feel welcomed and safe. Don't be an ugly american, treat the spanish people with respect and warmth and you will have the same in return. smile

#37657 - 09/16/01 05:45 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
jeffperez62 Offline

Loc: connecticut USA
Hello Marcel,

we have been here since sept. 4 and the spanish folks have been lo siento.. very sorry and very nice, those must be rumors... You will have a great time here, remember the spanish supports the US during this horrible time... Every spanish person we met has been very sympathetic.... please enjoy,, we have not encountered any anti sentiment at all.

enjoy,

#37658 - 09/16/01 07:15 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
One of the first emails I got after the tragedy was from the young student who was our hostess/interpreter for the Palencia Cup international soccer tournement that I attended this summer with a group of girls. She told of the genuine sorrow she and her young friends felt.Just as we cannot stop flying or going into tall buildings, we cannot stop going out into the world..we just need to be the best example of humanity we can.Caution is always prudent for many reasons in life but sometimes I think "warnings" are the sparks that create the demons in our minds.

#37659 - 09/17/01 06:23 AM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
On Thursday I received a call from an US friend who was in Madrid unable to leave the country. He is
a theworldparty.net guide and was stuck with a 8 people group. He had booked on the hotel until thursday thinking that they would be able to be back on Friday. Fearing they wouldn´t he called me to help him finding another hotel for the friday night. I had to call more than 20 hotels until I found two
that would do. He called on Friday heartily appreciating my help but telling me that he had explained to the hotel manager their problem and that the man (I suppose moved by all that has happened) changed this american group to bigger rooms and a 10%
discount into the bargain.
I would like to express from here my gratitude to Hotel Suecia for making me feel proud of Spain by accommodating my american friends when city center Madrid hotels were totally packed.

Andrés

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: Andrés ]

#37660 - 09/17/01 12:40 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You are welcome here, now more than never.

It is true that there exists an anti-american sentiment in some ultra-leftist parts of our society. It is not true that the general feelings here are anti-american, and any anti-americanism it could be, it has been erased in the past days.

The spaniards are people who are not used to express their feelings in public, you must know that. Thus, you won't see many public expressions (as in other countries). But make no mistake, that doesn't mean we don't feel and share the pain with you, the everyday chatter between us (as I have seen) is filled with feelings of disgust about the terrorist attacks, and any time you meet a spaniard he/she will tell you how deep he/she feels what the USA have suffered.

Fernando

#37661 - 09/17/01 04:50 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
As an ex-New Yorker who has spent the past several months on vacation in Spain, I would like to say that I agree with Fernando.
I have watched the televised address of the President of the Spanish government, Jose Maria Aznar, wherein he couldn't have been more clear in his expression of full support to the US, including offering the unconditional use of military bases in Spain if so needed. His straightforward remarks against terrorism & willingness to stand shoulder to shoulder with us were in the same vein as those offers made by the British PM Tony Blair.
We americans have just lost over 5000 men, women, & children to terrorism. To date, the Spaniards have lost about 1000 men, women, and children to terrorism in their country. So in a sense we are all in the same boat!

I personally have received many offers of sympathy from my Spanish friends since the WTC tragedy.
Of course there are always some people in every country (even our own!) who hate "the american way". I have seen a handfull in Spain & read anti-american comments in some newspapers, but have never seen any violence here directed against americans.
Come to Spain & enjoy the Spanish hospitality!
Seeing how my countrymen have responded to the terrorist inflicted tragedy makes me proud to be an american. The patriotism of the american people perhaps is not really understood here (and I don't mean this to be a criticism, just an observation!)

#37662 - 09/17/01 06:06 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Marcel Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
It seems that there is a lot of support in Spain for America. I think everyone is right that there are anti-American sentiments anywhere at any time, just like everything. But from the posts it seems that Americans have been treated with the utmost respect. As I do not intend to act like an "UGLY AMERICAN" hopefully everything will be O.K. I am extremely excited about going. These posts have been very helpful and I appreciate all the responses.

Saludos,
Marcel

#37663 - 09/17/01 06:30 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I have spent a lot of time and never have I faced anti-American sentiments directed towards me. As others have said, there will always exist a small number of anti-Americans in any society (even here in the USA!), but that in NO WAY indicates the feelings of the general Spanish public.

I believe the warning was posted for any American outside of the states, not just located in Spain. Due to the horrific circumstances of last week, they are just asking that everyone be careful where ever you are. I checked the travelers advisories posted by the Dept of State (I got there thru the embassy webpage at www.embusa.es ), and this warning is listed as a 'general warning' to all.

Best of luck in your travels and have a great trip to Espana!!

GranadaGirl (Still heartbroken by the destruction, but determined that life will go on)

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37664 - 09/18/01 01:37 PM Re: Anti-american feelings in Spain?
Zylphia Offline

One of the students we hosted last summer from Madrid has emailed me to say they are all crying in Spain for the Americans who were killed. They watch it on their news all day and are behind our country 100%.

The thumbs up sign is one he used to indicate his approval.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments