Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37643 - 08/28/01 04:36 PM Muggings in Madrid, August 2001
guitarrista Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hi -

More bad news from me - but with a happy ending!

So, I live in the Alonso Martinez area and I was walking up my stairway when I found a fannypack scattered on the stairs. It contained a young woman´s passport, keys, credit cards - everything except money and her sunglasses (the case was empty).

There was a notepad with email addresses on it so I emailed them hoping to find her. Sure enough she emailed back. This is what she wrote(in part):

"I was robbed at a place called the Central Cultural, under the fountain by four dark-skin young guys. I believe i was also drugged because I had lost consciousness as well. I was angry, upset, and desperate. It was horrible cause I had no money left; You know what I am talking about.

There were at least 10 other people were robbed that day. I wish you a nice and safe time in Madrid."

So, I sent her stuff to her (she had already, understandably, left Madrid), and things are much better. So hey, it´s still happening, so take care and be aware!

#37644 - 08/28/01 06:33 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, August 2001
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Terrible story, indeed. I don't doubt this at all, but how did she leave the country (if, in fact, she did) without her passport? Did she have one made for her before you contacted her? Where was she from? When did this happen? She also says that 10 other people were robbed that day. I'd say if ONLY 10 people were robbed in a city with 3 million people then that's probably the best day they've ever had! rolleyes

Terrible story for sure. Hope it never happens to you, but I'll take those odds of 1:300,000. And that was VERY nice of you to send her her stuff. You are a GOOD citizen! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37645 - 09/24/01 01:56 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, August 2001
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
On August 11th, I was on the Madrid subway (between Pacifico and Conde de Casal on the grey line #6) on my way to a bus station. Since I had a big handbag with me, I obviously could not hide that I was a tourist. Well, a young girl made her way toward me in the packed subway, and since I was right beside the door, I thought nothing of it. Well, I also had a fanny pack strapped across the front of my chest - this seemed attractive and easy to the girl, because she then proceeded to get closer to me (packed subway, again) and placed her sweater in front of me in a way that was obstructing my view of my fanny pack. As we were nearing the Conde de Casal stop, she started unzipping the main compartment of my fanny pack!!! I OBVIOUSLY felt it unzipping and quickly zipped it back up! I was shocked, and by the time I realized exactly what had happened, the subway doors opened, she got out, I got out, and then watched her as she walked back into the subway through another door, ready to try it again! I was so upset, but glad that she hadn't gotten anything out of me! So be careful! Just goes to show that these people have no shame and will rob you literally right under your nose!!!

SusiLaGallega

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3028 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments