Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37638 - 08/24/01 04:05 PM leaving bags in trunk - Jerez de la Frontera
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
We plan on renting a car in Seville and driving to Arcos de la Frontera. Along the we way wanted to stop in Jerez and sample some sherry at the bodegas. Is it safe to leave our luggage in the trunk while we are in Jerez? We could always leave the luggage in storage at the train or bus station if this is a security risk.

#37639 - 08/24/01 04:32 PM Re: leaving bags in trunk - Jerez de la Frontera
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
We tried to avoid leaving our luggage in our trunk while traveling through Spain, but sometimes it was inevitable. When that was the case, we did a couple of things:

1) Clean out the interior of the car--no maps, no brochures, no souvenirs or postcards. Why advertise that there MIGHT be luggage?

2) Do all of your trunk arranging BEFORE you stop and park somewhere...and don't open your trunk once you have parked your car. Do it at a gas station on the way or something. Don't toss a purse or other items in just before you walk away from your car.

When we did these things, we felt pretty comfortable leaving our car and luggage for a while. Obviously, you should have your traveler's checks, credit cards, cash, and travel documents tucked into a travel pouch in your clothes when you leave your other stuff. And don't leave things that will melt (chocolate) or overheat.

#37640 - 08/24/01 11:05 PM Re: leaving bags in trunk - Jerez de la Frontera
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I like the local paper opened to the Sports section casuallly thrown on the seat as a decoy. or maybe a cheap plastic toy or 2 on the back seat.Then you look like a local day-tripper.

#37641 - 09/10/01 08:50 PM Re: leaving bags in trunk - Jerez de la Frontera
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I observed the underground parking lots have security personel walking through the lot. I obseved them in Ronda, Grenada, and Jaen.

#37642 - 09/10/01 09:05 PM Re: leaving bags in trunk - Jerez de la Frontera
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Thanks everyone. We'll be staying overnight in Arcos and Ronda and ourluggage will be in the hotel.

I'm still a little anxious about leaving the luggage in the car while we're in Jerez and have considered stoppping at the bus or train station and leaving our luggage in storage there. If we do leave in the trunk I'm bringing along a couple of bicycle locks and strapping the luggage together and locking it to the trunk. I figure this will make it a little more difficult to grab and run! wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2022 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments