Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37595 - 07/15/01 09:35 PM Gypsies: near robbing in Madrid
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
For the first time ever we nearly had an incident of being robbed. We were walking up a side street between Sol and the Plaza Mayor (but fairly large street nonetheless, and right near a full outdoor cafe) when a gypsy girl approached with her newspaper and did the typical, "Por favor, guapa, un duro, un duro...". I forcefully said, "No gracias" and kept going, but somehow she nearly forced my friend into the wall, pressing against her with the newspaper. I didn't even realize this was going on till my friend pushed her away and then came over saying that the girl's hand was actually in her purse and it was very lucky she had noticed. This girl could not have been more than 17. After that we were a littled rattled for the night and went right home.

#37596 - 07/16/01 01:48 PM Re: Gypsies: near robbing in Madrid
AndyBoy Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Tip: Do not look like you are afraid of them (thieves or anyone suspicious). The more they smell fear, the more they go bolder.

#37597 - 07/16/01 09:19 PM Re: Gypsies: near robbing in Madrid
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
You should never get confidence with a gypsie. It is not racism, in my own expirience the 90% of gypsies I've known live from robbery or from asking for money (charity).

Also, I've seen on TV how they rob (one of their techniques). If they identify you as a tourist (and certainly there is no difficulty in doing it) they show you a newspaper asking you to buy it, then they get it near to you and quickly try to pickpocket your wallet (in case it is visible), your camera or something else.

There are other techniques (not just gypsies): One of them ask for something, and when you are busy they try to steal you what they can.

To be honest, I'm 23 years-old, I have walked on the most dangerous estates and districts and I've NEVER been robbed. I've been in tricky and dangerous situations sometimes, but if you are clever and are aware of where you shouldn't go you will not have any problems.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2966 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments