Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37564 - 06/11/01 05:27 PM safe stash
CanCanGrrl Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi, I am a single girl traveling alone abroad for the first time, so first of all I'd like to thank you all so much for all the safety tips I've garnerd so far from this site. I've only been left with one question: everyone suggest you only keep a little amount of cash with you at all times, but where do you keep the rest of it? My sister traveled all through europe and made me warry of leaving it in the room safe provided in my hostel suggesting that any number of people could get the combination. Also I'll be going to France as well and there, I'm sharing a room with five people, so I'm not quite sure what to do. confused

#37565 - 06/17/01 11:27 PM Re: safe stash
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi CanCanGrrl-

What are you planning on doing regarding money? (Are you bringing all you'll need in travelers cheques, will you be bringing dollars or pesetas, or are you planning on using ATMs?) When we have extra money on hand, we usually use the safes in the rooms. BUT now adays, we don't even bring much money or travelers cheques with us. ATM's are so frequent and easy to use that I may bring a little in pesetas or travelers cheques, then just use ATM's for spending money (so I never take out too much at once) and any bigger ticket items (rooms, big meals, souvenirs) I just use my credit cards. The credit cards work out best in the end for anything like that because you'll get the best rate for the day without any commission taken out and you can better track what you spent when you return.

So, my opinion is have very little extra money at all, and keep any of your pocket money in a waist pack, and you should be fine!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments