Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#37493 - 05/30/01 07:48 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
ohhhhh....i hate reading these things. they get me so nervous that i can't even tell you, but i am drawn to them.

i will still be carrying my important things where someone would have to rape me in order to find them...and i don't mean my bra. i figure if that happens, money will be the last thing on my mind.

still, what the @#&*&!%*?!!!! is it just the Moroccans and Africans that are doing all the muggings? aren't there other people involved?

either way, i am so very glad that i took a self-defense course last month.

#37494 - 05/30/01 08:03 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Firstly, Moroccans are Africans. Secondly, of course they're not the only delinquents around. Spanish criminals have progressed to greater things like tax-fraud and buying political appointments. While we're on sterotypes, another group which has a bad name are the gypsies. Some may be involved in crime, but they are more likely to painlessly dupe you out of your money. As to the North Africans I mentioned, I feel it's almost needless to point out that the ones in question hardly are representative of North Africans in general. But you have to remember that the ones who hang out around the Plaza come from marginalized areas in their home countries to begin with - they'd beat you up there too - and have arrived in Spain where they can't legally work. Many of them, as I said also are high on glue half the time. This makes them extra dangerous. So, exercise caution when in the area, but don't let being overcautious ruin your trip.

#37495 - 05/30/01 08:29 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
sheba Offline

sorry barry--i meant moroccans and algerians as in the previous person's message. i don't know where my mind is these days. lately, i half-butt pick up on things and never stop to think of what i'm actually saying.

i can't help being overcautious though when it comes to money. if i get ripped off, there is no out, i.e., there is no one back home who can wire me money/bail me out, etc and i will be traveling alone most of the time. so, i tend to be overcautious when it comes to money to the point of stress. it's personally my worst fear. i mean, i can jump buildings, eat bugs, and do strange things to my body...but the feeling of being financially strapped in any way gives me night sweats, especially in a country where i don't speak the language properly. so i'll take that extra precaution and keep the money where i know it'll be safe.

and thanks for the heads up on the plaza hooligans. is this not the worst of situations? i can't begin to imagine what you are thinking when this happens this all the time.

#37496 - 05/30/01 09:21 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
La Condesa's manners for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Darling Sheba,
Allow me to call you Reina De. having never been finacially strapped myself, I can understand even better the horrors such a situation might entail. Only once in my entire life - when I was standing at the counter in Hermés with the chartreuse crocodile Kelly bag in my hand (a steal at $10,000) and the Marquis' card was declined - did I feel the wolf at the door.
Use your woman's intuition as I always do. The new Loewe crocodile handbags have just enough room for lipstick, femidoms, madmoney and mace. A girl need carry no more in Madrid.
Besos y abrazos,
La Condesa

#37497 - 05/31/01 12:26 AM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
sheba Offline

gracias la condesa, which in minnesota has unfortunately been pronounced quite often as "grassy ass" rolleyes .

you are so wise and i will take your comments with me to madrid smile .

#37498 - 05/31/01 06:20 AM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
That was pretty funny, I must say.

#37499 - 06/01/01 04:31 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
laugh

Thanks, La Condesa. That was just the advice I needed at the end of a brutal Friday afternoon (Imagine, I had to carry my own luggage to my room at the Savoy, it's just not civilized).

Time to go back to my suite now and mix up a manhattan. Since I'm feeling saucy today, I think I'll sip it straight from my Han dynasty Ming vase.

Toodles

#37500 - 06/01/01 04:58 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
Luces de Bohemia Offline

I've been assaulted in Madrid 3 times, all of them were North African gangs. They didn't take anything because I have my money in my shoes all the time (smelly but safe wink ). But North Africans are not bad people at all. They went to Spain looking for a better life and they didn't find a job and they need money to live, so the rob people and sell drugs. Of course not all of them, I saw quite a few working very hard in construction.
But I have to say that Madrid is not that bad. In Caracas they put a gun to my head and they took my shoes (yes, the money in the shoes too), pants and my American passport. In Chicago they took my car (I was not there, thanks God) and in NY they took my money.
I don't know why the thieves love me so much,I guess that is because I am a skiny, little, nerdy guy and they know that I won't fight back confused

#37501 - 06/02/01 12:33 AM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
sheba Offline

luces--

my mother always taught me to keep money in my shoe. i had to laugh at the thought of the thieves taking your shoes with your pants and passport. very thorough bunch aren't they? i'm sorry so much has happened to you in this vein and i'm glad you can still maintain some sense of balance about it all.

and hey, nerdy little guys are very cool. smile

#37502 - 06/03/01 05:32 PM Re: Muggings in Madrid, May 2001
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Did you hear, girls? Nerdy little guys are cool! Don't meet the chance to meet one laugh laugh laugh

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1633 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments