Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37276 - 01/16/01 10:53 PM how safe is to take a train overnight
bethesda Offline

Do they rob you during a night trip ? on the train....

#37277 - 01/17/01 12:07 AM Re: how safe is to take a train overnight
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ummm... No. It almost never happens. But to be certain, keep your valuables close to you (under your shirt, in your pockets) while you sleep...or use your bag as a pillow.

Happy Travels! Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. Your email address seems to be incorrect. Please check and correct it. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 01-17-2001).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37278 - 01/17/01 10:55 AM Re: how safe is to take a train overnight
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
By way of comparison, I've had exactly two overnight train trips in France, resulting in one major incident involving two Algerians, some missing electronics, two American students (who could that be...?) and a police beating.

In contrast, I've taken about 12 overnighters in Spain and have had no incidents of theft, chicanery or the like. MM is correct when he says it doesn't happen (with frequency). One advantage is that Spain's trains are mostly newer, and have locking compartments. The trains in France and Italy are old (see a 1950's action movie), and do not lock. It is in your best interest, of course, to keep your valuables in an "interesting" spot, like in your chones or inside your sock, while wearing your shoes to bed. You never can be too careful...

When I backpacked, I brought a large duffel (the XL duffel from Eddie Bauer did the trick) and packed my internal frame pack inside the duffel at night, bike-locking that duffel to the luggage rail. I never had a problem. In the day I would roll the bag up and stick it in the compression straps for carrying.

#37279 - 01/17/01 01:33 PM Re: how safe is to take a train overnight
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Bethesda, when I travel on an overnight train I go cheap and stay in literas (bunks) instead of first class. I've never had a problem, or heard of one, but then, I take care to not leave valuables in easy reach.

The last time I traveled this way was a year and a half ago, with my children, and the man in the Renfe window in the pueblo I was in didn't want me to go literas with the children. He kept saying, "You don't know who you'll be with!" But I was stubborn, and we had no problem.

There are 6 bunks, so if you're alone or in a group of fewer than six, you'll probably share. I like having the top bunks (you can ask for them) because they have storage space over the door, and they're hard for others to reach. I figure the farther away your stuff is, the safer it is.

Also be aware that the conductor may take your return ticket and keep it over night. Don't worry - you'll get it back in the morning. We traveled with a big group of Korean students and they got very worried, but their leader spoke English, and I spoke Spanish to the conductor, and we got it all explained, and had an uneventful trip!

Enjoy your trip!

#37280 - 01/29/01 11:56 PM Re: how safe is to take a train overnight
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Whenever I traveled on the overnighters, we'd actually use the bags with our valuables as pillows, no one was getting to those without us knowing!!

As somneone previously said, the doors on the Spanish trains lock, but many others don't or if they have locks, sometimes don't shut right. I have seen at http://www.magellans.com a few neat new devicies: 1 is a wedge that you can put in the sliding door of the train so that if someone tries to open it, it will function as a lock. They also have personal alarms, you can lock your stuff to your wrist or to the bunk and if someone tries to get it, an alarm will sound.

Have fun and be safe!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments