MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37258 - 01/14/01 04:34 PM I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Since we've all heard/told the negatives about safety, let me tell you the positives. I've never been a victim of any street crime in madrid, and this trip was no exception. There were no flower bearing anybodies in Madrid or Sevilla, no bump/grab wallet scams, etc. In fact, maybe the cold/rain keeps the opportunities for street crime much lower: you aren't strolling and people watching/being watched as much. Wallets are beneath heavy buttoned coats, etc. We walked in the barrio de santa cruz after midnight, and of course around Sol, plaza mayor etc. til one or so (yeah, I know, big partier, huh!). The only rip off was the usual taxi s--t, but it wasn't outrageous.

#37259 - 01/17/01 12:35 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Well, it doesn't look like rgf's thread is about to compete with the 100+ posts on the pickpocket thread that keeps scaring people who have never been to Madrid or Spain. So I would just like to add my voice and say I have never been robbed, mugged, abused, ripped-off (I don't think so!), or otherwise made to feel unconfortable or threatened in Madrid, or anywhere else in Spain. And, in country that gets 70 million foreign visits a year, I believe that's the norm.

#37260 - 01/17/01 01:34 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
rgf Offline
Executive Member

OK, so let's all share our "how I was safe in Spain stories." Like the time you were drunk out of your mind and had thousand peseta bills hanging from your pockets and no one robbed you... or the time you hitchhiked and, instead of being assaulted, you were invited to someone's house for lunch, or the time you left your package in a bar and the waiter came running after you, oiga, oiga! etc! Let's hear 'em!

#37261 - 01/17/01 09:56 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
This is semi-unrelated, but rgf's way of saying "running after you" reminded me of it. One of my friends in Salamanca was out doing laundry with her roommate, which entailed carrying a huge duffel bag of clothes across Avenida de Portugal and to the center of town. Well, on the way back apparently her bag was not securely closed. A little old man came running after her calling "Rubia, rubia!" and waving her underwear that had fallen out -- when she looked back there was a trail of bras and underwear through the street!

#37262 - 01/17/01 11:48 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
I felt safe in Madrid and in Sevilla during the Feria (I think because everyone thought I was a German. ).

Kurt, the Irish-American

#37263 - 01/18/01 07:16 AM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I feel really safe in Madrid as well. However living in a city and visiting a city are 2 completely different things. I guess it's different for me.
But is it a good thing to feel safe all the time? Probably not eh?
Anyway, I feel safer in Madrid than in most north american cities. It's an awesome city, very rich with culture, activities and people. I really hope that petty crimes do not deter tourists from this city, that would be such a shame.

#37264 - 01/18/01 11:37 AM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
rgf-
true story-
In 1991 I was hitchiking from Sevilla up and over through Portugal and back again. To make a long story short, my friend and I (otra chica) were picked up by an extremely nice and generous man (x-torero turned super bible beater) who brough us to his home to meet his very gracious Swiss wife and to spend the night. It was late at night, we were broke and I was actually a bit roughed up from a scooter accident in the Algarve. Anyway, he assured us that everything would be ok, and our gut instincts told us so as well, so we went along. When we got there, they served us wonderful sopa de mariscos (filled with wonderful mariscos that he had caught that day!), set us up with fresh, flannel sheets for the night, and in the morning they served a wonderful breakfast. We spent the morning playing with their children, then he took my friend and I to the nearest highway so we could continue our journey back to Sevilla! Oh, and to boot, he sent us off with our own personal New Testament en Español! We could not have been luckier in the sad state we were in! I would not necessarily recommend this type of activity (Do not try this at home), but we had a great time and quite the adventures! I have countless stories about the kindness of strangers over there. On a down note, however, one time when we were all packed up to go to out of town for the weekend ( backpacks on, etc...) I noticed that my hiking boots had been untied or cut off my pack. I figured it must have happened when crossing the Triana bridge. It was not smart to have had them dangling from the pack, so I asked for it. Again, do not try this at home!
Happy travels-
Jen

#37265 - 01/18/01 05:28 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
rgf Offline
Executive Member

I love that story about the meal, the overnite, and the good send off! Now, who would WANT some used hiking boots cut off a backpack? sheesh!

#37266 - 01/19/01 03:52 PM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I always felt totally safe in Spain - all over Spain. I frequently travelled by myself and never had a thing stolen. ever (and I admit, rather sheepishly, that I stumbled home alone at 5 in the morning reeeeally tipsy with alarming frequency that year).

I also add, that I am not encouraging anyone get drunk and wander home alone, even though I did it often and was fine.

You cracked me up with the underwear story. how embarrassing. I hope it was first string underwear and not second or third, nappy, been washed ten thousand time and it shows stuff).

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 01-19-2001).]

#37267 - 01/22/01 09:21 AM Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
In two years in Sevilla, and several weeks in other parts of Spain, I have never had anything stolen. And in five + years in New York City, I can say the same thing. I also spent time in France, Ecuador, and Italy without any problems. But on New Year's Eve, during a month-long backpacking trip through a dozen countries in Europe, we were drunk in Rome. My friend put down her bottle of cheap wine to signal for a cab, and a bum snuck in and walked off with the bottle. That was the only thing we lost on the trip. But, while I was in Ecuador, my family's house in Massachusetts was broken into and my stereo was stolen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments