Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37196 - 10/31/00 03:19 PM Metro safety (Madrid)
ell Offline

Loc: ell
my wife and i are going to madrid for the first time tomorrow afternoon (11/1). we're excited about our trip since we had an incredible time during our last trip to europe (london).

what made london so easy to travel was the underground metro. we found it safe even during the late hours.

my question is: is the madrid metro just as safe. even at night? i know people in madrid stay up at all hours of the night. does that mean the trains run late too?

thanks,
ell

#37197 - 10/31/00 04:20 PM Re: Metro safety (Madrid)
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Madrid's metro is totally safe. It runs from 6:00 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.

#37198 - 10/31/00 04:42 PM Re: Metro safety (Madrid)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I agree with Castiza. The metro is safe at all hours, and remains in my mind the best utilitarian way to travel in Madrid. Her schedule is correct. If you find yourself needing to get around late at night and not wanting a taxi, you should be able to catch a "buho" or night bus which make long runs combining routes with fewer stops. Taxis from point A to B in Madrid are great too, and fairly reasonable. Have fun in Madrid!!!

#37199 - 10/31/00 06:58 PM Re: Metro safety (Madrid)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
The METRO is safe. It's those exits/entrances at odd times/places you have to be alert for. But that goes for all cities all times, verdad?

#37200 - 11/01/00 01:51 AM Re: Metro safety (Madrid)
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
the madrdi metro is quite safe. i felt completely at ease riding and walking the stations at 1:30 in the morning. of course there is the possibility that an isolated incident may occur. however, this is the case in all cities. i shall put it this way, i felt far more comfortable on the madrid metro at 1:30 am than i do on san francisco's metro at rush hour.

#37201 - 11/01/00 05:34 AM Re: Metro safety (Madrid)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Don't get complacent. On a Madrid Metro train I saw a would-be thief grab a woman's gold necklace as he was going out the door. The woman screamed; the clasp held; and the thief went away empty-handed. It was about 10AM and on the line that goes to Atocha Renfe.
Isolated incident?
P.D.
We were on our way to Atocha to buy tickets & reservations for AVE for the next day. On our return trip on the Metro, we saw the same (3-person) 'team' of thieves (without incident this time). That's why I mentioned the Atocha-Renfe line. My guess would be that they 'work' that line during certain times of the day.

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 11-03-2000).]

#37202 - 11/01/00 11:37 AM Re: Metro safety (Madrid)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Eddie-probably an isolated incident, as those who have already pointed out: We're around 5 million in Madrid, and with size comes crime.

The only real constant danger in the metro stations is the possiblity of slipping and falling on the urine left by your friendly neighborhood juergista. Yikes! :eek

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments