MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#37193 - 12/01/00 10:53 AM Re: Political Situation in Spain and ETA
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I understand your point Caminante. To some extent you may be right, but it is documented fact that Franco's regime, which was horribly anti-Basque, encouraged many from the southern regions of Spain to relocate to the Basque country. This was done not only to populate the steel mills of Altos Hornos de Vizcaya, but with a scondary purpose of diluting and undermining the solidarity of the Basque people and culture.

#37194 - 01/12/01 05:11 PM Re: Political Situation in Spain and ETA
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I noticed in El Pais today that two Urbanos from Barcelona P.D. apprehended, quite by accident, two etarras who were driving a stolen car with a door ajar and a crooked license plate. The police motioned to them that their door was ajar, and later got a little suspicious (it was 3:30 a.m.) when the plate looked like it had been "tampered with".

When they approached the vehicle, they noticed the man (traveling with a woman), was wearing headphones. Later they realized that he was using a police scanner in the car...had they called for backup, they would've been dead. or he would've at least been tipped off to the police's intentions. Anyway, they acted fast when they saw the etarra's weapon and were successful in apprehending the two terrorists.

It turns out that the man arrested was one who was implicated in the shooting of another office on 12/20/00...the arresting officer this time told the etarra "you're not going to kill me like you did my colleague".

P.S. The car had 15 kilos of TNT in it... Chalk one up for the fuzz.

#37195 - 01/14/01 02:44 PM Re: Political Situation in Spain and ETA
Jaime Offline

This is such an interesting and informative thread! I never really understood what was going on in Pais Basco and now at least I have a better idea. Everyone's responses are so well written, it really has been great to read. My bro in Spain spent a long weekend in San Sebastian a few weeks ago and said it was the most beautiful place he had seen so far. He and his British buddy dubbed ETA "Mr. Smith" in their public conversations so they wouldn't get the wrong person mad. He said alot of the signs in Spanish were crossed out and rewritten in the Basque language but didn't notice anything else major going on. Thanks again for such great responses everyone. You guys are the best! Jaime

[This message has been edited by Jaime (edited 01-14-2001).]

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1939 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments