The following has been takin from a leaflet issued by the Spanish police:
"Recent studies rank Spain among the safest countries. And this is something that provides us with quality of life. To ensure this, we Spaniards take a few precautions. Follow our advice and you will have a throughly enjoyable trouble-free holiday.
* Keep an eye on your belongings
* Take special care of you handbag or wallet in crowded places (street markets, buses, etc)
* When going to the beach or swimming pool, take along only what is strictly necessary.
* Protect your video or camera at places or entertainment
* Avoid street gambling stalls. They are a fraud
* Steer clear of easy business propositions. They could well be a swindle
* Should you be using a vehicle of any kind, never leave any objects of value inside
Should you be the victim of any crime, report it inmediately.
Call 091. The police are at your service 24 hours a day.
[Though I doubt they speak English - Antonio]
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com