Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#37050 - 11/13/00 09:55 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
Budah,

I travelled with a large pack when I was in Spain so I appreciate your concern. To ease my fears, I bought locks for each compartment. Definitely get the combination locks that let you set the combination.

As for pickpockets, I never had any problems. Walk with confidence and watch your surroundings is the best advice I can offer.

#37051 - 11/15/00 09:13 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
coxinga Offline

Loc: East Brunswick, New Jersey, US...
I can honestly say I actually enjoyed the pickpocket experience while in Madrid last week on a Friday evening around 9 to 10 PM. Simply because the four women who picked my pocket got away with a daytimer notebook which is utterly useless to them and they eventually returned it to me. It was an experience for a lifetime which I wouldn't trade with anyone.

Of course had my wallet been picked, I would not be here telling you the episode with the same amusing mood.

They apparently targeted me from a distance while I walked toward the street corner in front of the McDonald's at Puerta del Sol from Plaza Mayor, perhaps one of the busiest street corner in Madrid. One women approached me with a map under the pretext of asking for directions in English and/or German, I don't know exactly which. At the same time three other members of her gang surrounded me. My son noticed from under the map held near my chest she reached in the right inside pocket of the jacket and took the daytimer, while I didn't feel a thing. By the time I noticed something was not right because of their demeaner. I felt both inside pockets of my jacket and noticed the daytimer notebook in the right pocket was gone. What immediately calmed me was my wallet in the left pocket was still there. It has all my money and credit cards.

With the four pickpockets still around us, I calmly told my companions, but within earshot of the perpetrators, that my notebook was gone but it's allright because what they took was of no value to them whatsoever. About 20 seconds later, they returned the daytimer to me, but not before thoroughly going through every thing in it and confirmed what I told them, to their great disappointment.

The gang of four pickpockets went into McDonald's after the encounter, perhaps to set the stage for the next victim to show up.

I only regret I couldn't notify the Policia of these four regulars at Puerta del Sol because of the language barrier.

coxinga

#37052 - 11/24/00 03:48 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
michelec Offline

Great web site and board. I am picking up so much valuable information for my trip to Madrid in February.

In this thread I keep seeing that as long as you don't stand out, you won't be as prime a target for the petty thieves. However, I am African-American so I'm going to stand out no matter what. I guess my question is two-fold: Because I won't look like the typical European visitor, what else should I do in terms of safety; and, because many of the pickpocketers have been described as Arab or Moroccan, will people I have to deal with when I'm shopping or going to a restaurant, or even the police treat me differently than my white counterparts? Any input will be appreciated.

Oh, and I'm also will be traveling solo. Will I have to be concerned with men hassling me or trying to pick me up?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by michelec (edited 11-24-2000).]

#37053 - 11/24/00 04:13 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
There is an enormous post, titled "Blck in Spain" that may answer some of those questions. I can't remember what section it is under, "About Spain," I think. Anyone else know?

Try a search under women traveling alone. There are a couple of posts where we talked about things you can do for safety as a woman alone. The guys may very well try to hit on you, just ignore them. That seems to pretty much take care of the problem.

Let me know if you can't find the previous posts, and I am sure we will all give you our two cents on your questions.

You will be fine though, and have a great trip!!!

#37054 - 11/24/00 04:48 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
....and don't forget the Piropos thread about compliments/catcalls/advances.., etc.

I'm sure you've read all the above postings/ideas/experiences, but just be on guard (not the kind of "on guard!" with sword in hand though), walk "with purpose", and be sensible. Have fun!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37055 - 11/27/00 09:13 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
metrobilbao Offline

Loc: cincinnati, ohio usa
Pickpocketers are a fact of life.... Especially in any VERY touristy area. And Spain is no exception to this....But it is not hard to avoid if you just follow some very simple precautinary procedures. NO FANNY PACKS WITH MAJOR VALUABLES, NO WALLETS IN BACK POCKETS,

the DO's...

DO wear a money belt
DO wear a neck wallet
DO bone up on current fasion and dress to fit in.
DO keep your wits about you and demand some personal space in crowded areas. If you have to move away MOVE AWAY from encroaching people
DO read up on picpocket protection... IT is an art to RIP YOU OFF and it IS an art to avoid being ripped off!!!!!!!!!

MADRID IS AN AWSOME PLACE.... using a bit of caution is all that is necessary.!!!

#37056 - 11/27/00 10:16 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
jtownley Offline

Loc: UK
There were a group of five of us in Madrid weekend before last and within half an hour of leaving our hotel we were approached by the Map girls. I had actually seen them looking at peoples pockets as they passed by and warned my friends in front of me, but they still tried to go for my back pocket. A few choice words and a swing oif the elbow saw them off and from that point on we just made sure all cash was kept in zipped up pockets. Still had a great time though. Surely the problem of pickpockets exists in every large tourist city.

#37057 - 11/29/00 06:03 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
SQ Offline

Loc: Australia
I met a couple who were mugged outside the Palacio Real at night, everything was taken, jewellery ripped off the woman. I was extra careful: I always carry a handbag, but wear it across my front & walk with my hand over the top. I don't carry all my cards, trav. cheques, etc all at once - only what I need that day, so if I do get unlucky I'm not in absolute strife. I don't have a 35mm camera anymore, and carry a smaller one in my handbag - it fits because I don't carry everything that I do at home - I streamline my belongings when I travel. I don't carry guide books. If I want to carry some info, I cut the relevant page(s) out of the book & put it in my bag. I don't carry a large map which is folded over a million times. You can always get a good small map with the city shown on one page. I try to have a good look at it before going out for the day, so I get the general idea of where I'm going, so that I don't have to resort to it too much. It also means you get a good idea of the layout of the city, which makes "wandering" easier. Like others in this thread, I wear nice casual stuff, comfortable leather shoes. I was in Madrid in October and had no problem. I'm female, I was alone, I'm little (5' 1"), but I always looked like I knew what I was doing. I do all these things wherever I travel; so far so good, and I've had a good time wherever I've been. I suppose none of the above precautions will guarantee no trouble, but maybe they lessen your chances, and that's probably all we can ask for considering the world we live in.

#37058 - 11/30/00 01:26 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Kimberley Offline

Loc: Boulder, Colorado, USA
Hi Guys

I actually have a question. I will be in Spain for a couple of weeks with my younger sister (who, although she is 20 yrs. old) cab ve a little spacey sometimes. Although I will keep her in line as only an older sister can, I'm worried about our backpacks getting slashed. Is there any good way to physically prevent your backpack from being cut open? Wire? Booby traps? I'm more worried about Barcelona than Madrid, but still... If anyone has any good ideas, let me know. Thanks
Kimberley

#37059 - 12/11/00 12:18 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
ash Offline

hiya ppl,
I juz got back from a trip to Madrid and it was fantastic.Before I went for the trip, I mentally took note of the commentz you guyz made on safety in Madrid.Though I carried a huge backpack , I had a combination lock (I think it does help) for it.My mom, whom I was travelling with kept her handbag hidden under a huge coat.We stayed in a hotel around the Castellana area which could get pretty lonely in the night(since its in a business district).However, in this trip of about 9 days to Madrid, we didn't get robbed or pickpocketed (not even attempted even once).This despite the fact that as one of the other members put it, one must try to "fit in" and look less touristy.Im Asian and only 5"3, so i guess i would be an ideal target for tourists.We did all the taboos you guyz mentioned one should not do :Like holding your camera,map in hand etc & visited Highly pickpocketed areas like rastro,retiro,sol....I have to admit coming form a safe country like Singapore, your comments on security in Madrid kinda put me off at first, but now im glad i visited Madrid, coz' Itz a wonderful place!I have no regretz whatsoever.
*Advice for future visitors to Madrid:Just keep a watchful eye on ya surroundingz and you'll do just fine.Have fun!=)

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2058 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments