Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#37020 - 09/28/00 04:26 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
connie Offline

Be careful around the metro stops Lavapiés and Tirso de Molina. It can be shaky there, especially if you look like a foreign woman. I had problems there and heard bad things from other women as well. It is not extremely dangerous either, but you want to be a bit careful.

#37021 - 10/04/00 02:29 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
dbear Offline

Loc: hawaii, usa
Aloha; I just wanted to weigh in on the petty theft situation in Madrid since we were victims 10 das. ago.We had a great time in andalucia and returned to Madrid to catch our return flight.On that last nite we walked to the Plaza Mayor for dinner and tried the Cafeteria Eboli.During our first drink the wife's purse turned up missing.Actually we missed it immediately,she had put something into it and went to retrieve it 2 or 3 mins. later and the purse,she had it at her feet,was missing.The only person that had come anywhere near the table in the time we were seated there was the waiter,once to drop the drinks and another the bread.I confronted the head waiter asking him if he had seen anyone around the table and he immediately started denying that she had a purse with her when she entered the cafe.That pretty much clued me into the fact that they(the staff)had taken it.Since they were denying something they hadn't been accused of.Here's what we learned from the experience.There is a large am't of petty theft in the city center.There is so much in fact that the police have set up a station in the Puerta del Sol subway stop just to handle the victims.Cancel the credit cards immediately, we called mastercard and someone had tried to use it that nite and was denied(small victory).Never put your purse down,even within immediate reach,look around at the Spanish women,they all wear bags that fit under their arms or across the chest.I hate to say this but don't let your guard down.We felt a little complacent because we were in cafe and had spent 2 wks in Spain without incident.Anecdotal thoughts:in the police station there was a very steady flow of victims,many of them spanish who had been robbed,most of the men wore money belts,an indication that they are well aware of the problem in their own city.The number one reply from the staff at the hotel europa,who were very helpful,was "it happens all the time."I don't want to make anyone one paranoid just totally aware.Like I said we had a great time in Spain,tapas bars are great and the people for the most part friendly,it's just to bad it happened on the last nite since fond memories are clouded by the most recent.Bien Viaje D

#37022 - 10/04/00 09:37 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
jslamen:
I've been a professional photographer most of my life--spent a lot of time in Spain.
I have never--repeat--never, had a camera or equipment stolen from me.

Part of the defense is eternal vigilance. Never put anything down without a strap wrapped a round your foot or leg, or keep your foot on top of your gear--or your leg pressed against it.

Never carry camera stuff in a bag that looks like a camera bag. Use a well-worn hand bag of another type.

Take with you on day shooting trips only what you need. Wear a coat with big pockets for some of your gear. Avoid carrying a tripod if you can get away with it. Practice using other stuff for support. One of those c-clamp devices is useful.

Once you have used your camera, hide it again. Never carry it around your neck.

Our of sight, out of mind. Remain alert.
Hope this helps.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 10-04-2000).]

#37023 - 10/04/00 10:41 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I am HORRIFIED about the Cafeteria Eboli story. What can people do in such a case? Scream, yell, demand to see what is behind the counter, make a fuss so someone WILL call the cops? Really, that is amazing that the actual folk who work for the place would rip you off so blatantly. Dios.

#37024 - 10/04/00 01:42 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I lived and worked as a missionary in Madrid for 2 years. I routinely walked Lavapies, la puerta del sol, the la gran via at night (often very late). The pickpockets are definitley around. Especially on the metro's yellow and green lines. We could very often see the morrocans working in pairs doing the distraction and grab game. We often stared right at them letting them know we were onto what they were doing. One for sure scam is always on the streets around the atocho and chamartin railway stations: The Shell Game. We often sat down and watched the clockwork precision of these scam teams at work. Within 10 or 20 seconds they will have a table out and a crowd gathered (the onlookers are part of the team!). Someone will win the bet on guessing which shell the marble is under and it looks like it's so easy. Loads of tourists are always on these streets so they start to watch and before you know it the people pull them in and insist they play. I've seen all variations work from laying the money down and losing to getting a wallet snatched right out from his hands by a "crowd member". Then when the victim starts screaming everybody separates and scrambles. They have lookouts on both corners of the street so when the police are coming the entire game is packed up, shoved into a corner and everyone involved disperses again like clockwork. They run into bars and starting drinking their cup of coffee like nothing was happening. Then in 10 seconds they're out doing it again. The most important thing to remember in Madrid is that is someone starts approaching you about something like a free this or that or to buy something just ignore them. If they persist scream something at them and walk away. Unfortunatly you have to be pushy to walk the streets of Madrid or you WILL be taken advantage of. It's just something you have to deal with to be able to enjoy and appreciate this wonderful city. But don't let this discourage you. It really doesn't happen that often - be aware!

Leche

#37025 - 10/04/00 01:47 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
ps...the shell game is run almost always by Spaniards! The morrocans and africans are usually the pickpocket perpetrators. If you keep your belongings secure and don't stray too far away from the crowds at night you will be safe. Be careful anytime you're around the groups of morrocans that roam in packs around la puerta del sol. This is not meant to be racist but I've had nothing but trouble with these guys. And they are willing to fight unlike most Spaniard scammers...meaning they will throw the first punch and expect a scrap if you offend them. The best advice is to stay away from these guys.

Leche

#37026 - 10/04/00 07:53 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Becky Offline

I wanted to comment on this line because I had read these posts before our trip in August to a friend's wedding. Between these scary posts and the bombings over there, I was a nervous wreck! Unfounded! We were a group of five women and two small children (a 4 yr. old and a 1 year old). We NEVER felt threatened. It was a wonderful experience. We traveled by Metro all over the city and often as late as midnight returning. At El Rastro we thought at one point a couple of young men were looking us over as targets, just moved on. We were cautious, but no more so than at home in the US.

#37027 - 10/07/00 07:29 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
These are all terrible stories. But why won´t someone target me??! Been here 5-days already, always carrying my big video camera bag around (and around my neck/shoulder) and sometimes a second bag, I´m wearing shorts, tennis shoes, button down shirts. Please! All pickpocketers! Here I am! Take your best shot. I was even walking through Puerta del Sol late last night, Friday night, TONS of people around at 9pm and my change could be heard in my pockets. Of course, I had my hand in that pocket the entire time. Still, no one has bumped me, pretended to spill something on me, and I´ve seen almost NO gypsies around! What´s Up?? Come On!

Safe-in-Madrid, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37028 - 10/07/00 10:00 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Eric Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA USA
Hello,
I just returned from Spain (Madrid and Barcelona) and am happy to report I had NO problems with pickpockets. I never saw any crimes, never heard of any and was not a victim at all. I felt safe the entire trip. And I travelled alone the entire time.

Before I left for Spain, I read this post and it helped me. I always held my belongings, carried my passport and money around my neck, never opened a map on the street, tried to dress like the locals (wore no white sneakers or shorts) and always acted liked I knew where I was going (even when I was lost).

With that, I felt free to explore the cities. I had so much fun. I go to New York City alot, and I felt safer in Spain than when I visit NYC.

------------------

#37029 - 10/09/00 04:12 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
MM,

i know people have said differently, but i do think it's becuase we are tall and large (not fat... not TOO fat...)...

i have been in all areas of Madrid over and over again, with friends, foreign and domestic, touristy and not, tipsy and sober, and never had a single problem...

are athletic-looking people "immune" to this? are we tall guys with big feet too scary looking to try to pimp for cash or whatever could be stolen??

i do feel badly for those that have been targeted... it is sickening... madrid is getting a bad rap because of this... anyone remember "texachica" and her comments...

if i ever see anyone getting mugged or ripped off i will certainly come to help...

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2318 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments