Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#37030 - 10/22/00 05:17 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
felisa410 Offline

The messages about crime on this board nearly made me cancel a visit to Madrid to visit my Uncle who is very ill. I was worried to death about going there. I thought for sure I would be mugged. I got back last night and have to report that my boyfriend and I had a problem free time. I never felt threatened, never saw any crimes.
What I did see were plenty of careless people who leave their bags on the floor unattended in restaurants and stores, their passports out in the open, wallets on counter tops, etc. I wonder if these are the people who get into trouble and then write to these boards about how terrible Madrid is. We has a fabulous time and would return again and again. Just take practical precautions and have fun.

#37031 - 10/31/00 10:07 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Pili Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Bless this forum! I was in Madrid a few weeks ago (just missed the Estrella meeting-rats!) and actually 'met' the gypsies using the map diversion technique! There were three of them, and I think it's important to mention they were better dressed than I expected; they looked relatively conservative, and one had on a business-like jacket. I also noticed they had a tendency to mumble as part of the distraction of making you concentrate on something other than where they and their hands are. The previous description of them in this thread was still fresh in my mind, and when I noticed the one woman's eyes dart down to my purse, the realization hit me so quickly, I forgot my Spanish and just said "No, no, no, get away from me!" Whoops. It worked, though. Watch out at along the Paseo Del Prado-that's where it was!

Special thanks to both rere and Madridman-you guys probably helped me avoid getting fleeced!

#37032 - 11/01/00 02:04 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
While in Spain, if I wanted someone to stay away from me (beggar, rosemary-sprig lady, etc.) I would just say "Nein!" and they would move on right away. They thought I was German! It worked like a charm.

#37033 - 11/01/00 09:24 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
slong Offline

Loc: Houston, TX USA
Just got back Nov 1 from 4 days in Madrid - middle aged, American woman traveling alone. I stayed at the Reina Victoria in Plaza Santa Ana. After reading all the posts here, I bought a "theft proof" purse from Travel Smith that looks pretty decent, but it has double zippers (so if someone unzips the outer zipper they still have to get through the inner zipper) and a metal cable through the shoulder strap (so no one can cut through it). I wore it across my body the whole time - at least I had confidence that no one was getting into it, and it would be difficult to get it away from me. I kept most of my money and passport in a "secret pocket" in my Tilley trousers. I did wear jewelry - small gold earrings, a couple of rings, a cheap watch. After all that preparation and paranoia, I didn't notice any pickpockets or scams anywhere and I walked all over - the Retiro, Paseo del Prado, Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Plaza Santa Ana, Calle Serrano, Calle Atocha, etc. etc. I had a wonderful time and a little more peace of mind probably for being prepared like I was - but I had this picture from the posts here of Madrid being a dirty city with low-lifes lurking on every corner ready to snatch your money and jewelry, and it just wasn't like that at all. It would be such a shame to miss Puerta del Sol because of some certainty you were going to get robbed, but it's a wonderful, vibrant, beautiful area and there is no need for fear. Of course this was the fall with fewer people around, but the weather was wonderful, and there were still plenty of tourists of all flavors around.

Because of the posts, I didn't take my "nice" camera, but I took my small cheaper camera and used that - but I saw plenty of tourists with cameras around their necks, with open maps, and purses over one shoulder, and they seemed to be doing ok as well.

I'm sure if I had left my purse open, or left it hanging on a chair in a terraza while I was eating or whatever - someone certainly would and could have snatched it. But the necessary precautions are minimal (I didn't need that special purse, really) and Madrid is so great it would be a shame to miss it.

#37034 - 11/01/00 03:53 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Way to go, Kurt! Das ist gut!

We were outside Santiago Bernabéu stadium getting tickets for Real Madrid when my friend felt someone bumping her fanny pack (which was being worn like a purse). She turned around and the guy acted like nothing was going on. It was an older guy, and once he saw the four americanos she was with, he no longer seemed to need a ticket.

In 1995, I was on a train to Nice, France, and spoke with a middle-aged woman about her purse-snatching incident. Like Cantabene said, always "wrap that strap". She had her purse sitting on the edge of the bench she was on, when a Vespa came by and the guy on back grabbed the bag and they kept on going. "Cacos" meet the technology-age!

Like Leche said, most Spaniards don't seem to feel the need to mix it up if caught and/or confronted. I assume Leche is over six feet like me. That certainly doesn't hurt.

#37035 - 11/01/00 03:55 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Lest you think the Nice incident belongs on ParisPal's Yankee page: The woman got ripped off in Barcelona...

#37036 - 11/02/00 05:28 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
slong says:
"I had this picture from the posts here of Madrid being a dirty city with low-lifes lurking on every corner ready to snatch your money and jewelry, and it just wasn't like that at all."

Agreed. These thing tend to get blown out of proportion. I sometimes wonder if some people just enjoy perpetuating "la layenda negra." (sp?)

Travelers are probably far safer in Madrid than in any comparable sized (and even not so comparably sized) cities in the USA. As anywhere, common sense precautions should be observed.
Cantabene

#37037 - 11/02/00 05:34 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
jude Offline

Reading this message board before my visit to Madrid last week made me feel very uneasy, I wondered what we were in for. But taking all the usual precautions I did not feel any more threatened than in any other city. BUT, please remember that appearances can be deceptive. It was not the rather noisy lads in the Plaza Mayor that posed any threat but three very respectable looking, meek young girls approaching us with a map and asking if we were American. The diversion tactics soon started , the touching, blowing kisses and circling around us. They approaced us on our first night and our last night.
Alittle unerving but shout no and walk away. Please be warned.

#37038 - 11/02/00 06:56 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
jmg Offline

Loc: farmington hills, MI USA
I agree, looks can be deceptive. We totally enjoyed our stay in Madrid, keeping our eyes open and our $ out of sight. We found no problems in the plazas or on the busy streets like Gran Via or Calle Atocha, although my husband noticed one fellow following us until we stopped for coffee. However, one morning we headed toward the train station along Paseo del Prado where there was not much foot traffic. My husband carried a small backpack with our camera & a couple of bottles of water & an umbrella. I glanced toward him & noticed a nicely dressed girl with "school books" near him & the zipper on his back pack half undone. I stared at her & before I could say anything she had disappeared, I think on to a bus. Nothing was taken & we knotted the tie on the zipper after that but were amazed at the street skills! Still, we are already planning our next trip to Madrid, just a tiny bit more aware of our surroundings!

#37039 - 11/03/00 09:15 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
JaymiGirl Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA - USA
Thanks for all the great information and good ideas. We're planning our honeymoon in Spain and I am so excited to see and experience everything. Reading these posts is a great reminder to be vigilant and try to blend in!
I'll definitely be watching this board closely...best resource out there!

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1937 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments