Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >
Topic Options
#37010 - 09/19/00 06:20 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Natalie! Being Asian, you really can't help but look like an outsider or a tourist so you really can't do anything about that. Wear sunglasses the entire time maybe?? Nah, I don't think that will work.

Anyway, I too have heard LOTS of pickpocketing, mugging, and purse-snatching stories from many many people, but in my 3-trips there (in 4-years) I have never been a victim, been "attemped", nor have I witnessed anything like this. Maybe I'm just lucky, who knows. Just be careful, aware, and if you're travelling with others stay close together. Thieves most often target those walking alone, apart from the group, or who appear to be weak and clueless (just like the wild animals they are).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37011 - 09/19/00 11:38 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Natalie-
You're safer in Spain than in LA, I would assume. Don't let the thought spoil your fun!

#37012 - 09/20/00 09:55 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Natalie Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Thanks. You're right...I'll keep aware and not let it ruin my good time!

MadridMan, I'm bummed that I'll miss your festivities...we don't make it to Madrid until October 19th. I'm sure Hotel Lopez will still be reeling from your visit! (or will you still be there?)

This website has been a wealth of information for our trip! Thanks so much. I'll keep reading until we leave on the 7th. I can't wait...my first trip to Spain!

#37013 - 09/21/00 06:35 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
We just got back Monday (18 Sep). We didn't really 'do' Madrid other than passing thru, but from Madrid's Puerta de Atocha (which used to be a pickpockets' haven) to the Avda de America multimodal transportation center (Metro/Bus terminal) and, of course Barajas airport,we didn't get 'jostled' one time.

As a matter of fact, the only times we were approached were at the Santander bus station (by people asking if we needed a pension) and in Sevilla (people purportedly selling postcards of la Macarena - but more likely trying to find out where we kept our money). We have been 'around the block' a few times so we just tell these people 'No! Gracias'

#37014 - 09/21/00 02:55 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Natalie - I lived in LA for a couple of years - and, believe me, you are safer in Spain. Maybe we are more sensitive to the undercurrents of tension in LA? I have never been hassled anywhere in Spain although a friend I was with last year was approached on the Gran Via by a couple of women trying to sell her a flower or something. That's a dead give away - shake your head NO and say no gracias - emphatically! Enjoy and have a great time!

#37015 - 09/25/00 08:14 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
Actually I look at the pickpockets and gypsies as part of the culture and part of the experience. The only time we were ever close to being a victim occurred on a subway in Rome. We had heard all the warnings, but were still a little oblivious until my friend noticed a tiny, young woman with her hand inside his coat. He yelled and she turned away in disgust. From that point on we made a game of 'spot the gypsy'. Once you spot them, and they do stand out, just stare at them with a mean look on your face letting them know you are on to them. Then just keep an eye out for others. In fact we once helped a group of clueless American women getting on the subway after a shopping trip. Bags everywhere. We spoted the gypsy, but they didn't know better. It was interesting watching the gypsy 'case' the women. The women were releived when we pointed out the problem and chased the gypsy away. As you can see, vigilence pays off. It also makes for great stories to your friends back home. In fact I think I would have been disappointed if I went to Rome and didn't see any pickpockets. Of course this is not what the people who have been victimized want to hear, but when in Rome...(or Madrid)...

#37016 - 09/26/00 01:03 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Hello Natalie-
I had my first trip to Spain last May. Madrid, Seville and Andulucia, just fantastic and I can't wait to go back. In two weeks, My sister and I were never bothered. I guess we were lucky, given all the pickpocket stories here.
The most important thing is (as always) know where you are and notice who is around you. A few times in Madrid I noticed teens and gypsies looking our way. The best thing to do is return their look, let them know that you see them and are aware of them. While pickpocketing may be a problem in Madrid, strong-armed robbery on the streets is not. If potential pickpockets and petty thieves think they've been spotted, they will move on to less vigilent targets.
I'm sure you'll have a great, trouble-free time, like I did.

#37017 - 09/26/00 12:09 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
I think it's also important to keep in mind that all Gypsies or North Africans, for that matter aren't piockpockets. No need to further spread fear or misconceptions about groups of people. Do be aware, but don't let it ruin your good time!

#37018 - 09/27/00 09:01 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
I have felt safe my entire trip here, but have been forewarned to avoid Lavapies during the night. Locals tell me that the large number of North Africans and imigrants from other parts have a reputation for mischievous deeds. I do not wish to sound, exenophobic or politicaly incorrect, but that is what I have been advised to do. I love the nearby La Latina zone, so perhaps Lavapies is better than warned, but I feel safer not finding out. BTW, I have strolled through Lavapies during the day and the older buildings tend to be in need of repair, and in fact one buiding displayed a large banner condeming the owners lack of maintenance with the following, " Esta es una vergüenza". So be forewarned about traveling through this zone.

Saludos from Madrid

#37019 - 09/28/00 04:10 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Natalie Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Where is the Lavapies district?

Natalie
(still nervous but feeling MUCH better thanks to all the comments here. And feeling very brave about living in LA )

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1863 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments