Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >
Topic Options
#37000 - 09/08/00 10:20 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by...]

lea
Junior Member posted 09-08-2000 03:22 AM
-----------------------------------
Just returned with the family from Madrid.
Before I left I had read all these reports on this site and was very concerned as we had kids with us. Well not once did we feel at risk or threatened. We looked life typical tourists - shorts, Nikes, cameras etc. We were aware, as we are in any big city we visit around the world - but felt extremely safe in Madrid and the whole of Spain for that matter. Must mention though that outside one of the Exchange booths we were approached by two men to exchange our dollars with them for a better rate - which we ignored and continued with our business.

rgf
Member posted 09-08-2000 09:35 AM
-----------------------------------
How great to hear a "we looked like tourists and no pickpocket horrors happened"!! Maybe they go away with the august crowds!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37001 - 09/08/00 01:34 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
Madrid is one of my favourite places in Spain and I have been there many times and will be going again in a few weeks. But I can confirm that if you arrive and look remotely like tourists people will start to follow you looking for an opportunity to rob. Indeed the situation put forward at the start of the topic, that is being approached by girls/women bearing flowers and talking about fiestas later in the day happened to my group and me. They got nothing since they noticed my wallet in my front pocket: I expect to be robed.

On noticing the location of my money I was amazed at the speed at which they can disappear into the background.

The only place I have noticed more stalkers is in Barcelona. If you’re careless there then you will be robed.

#37002 - 09/09/00 12:38 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
rere Offline

Loc: palm springs, ca, usa
OK, here is my only pickpocketing experience.

Last year my fellow thirty something male friend and I were walking several blocks east of the Palace in Madrid. I was walking and reading a map.(DUH) I put my map in my back pocket. Two, as another member wrote, "waiflike girls" approached us with what I thought was MY map. "How nice," I thought. Then, I realized it wasn't my map, just a similar one. We were moving toward them to get the map, and in a second, one girl had her hands inside my friend's coat. He yelled at them, and they left, getting nothing.

Here are my comments:
1. Like we hear-don't advertise being a tourist. I did this, I know.
2. Keep valuables secure. Personally, I don't wear money belts. I carry things in my front pocket, and sometimes even secure the opening with a safety pin. (If I keep gaining weight there won't be room for my money, much less a picketpocket's hand).

I really enjoy the life in Madrid, and will continue to visit it, as I'm doing in 2 months. Like some other members, I feel very secure in most parts of Madrid--certainly safer than I would feel in Houston or Los Angeles, the two US cities in which I've spent the most time. I like to go anyplace I want to so I really try to have safe actions. This way, I don't worry and enjoy my trips.

#37003 - 09/09/00 09:05 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Only once during my many Spain trips did someone attempt to pickpocket me. It was in Madrid. The two young boys, one on each side of me, had their hands in my coat pockets as I walked. I screamed and they didn't flinch. There was no money in my pockets.

I wear the holster pouch AND on occasion I put travelers checks in sandwich bags in my shoe! If I need money I will go into a bathroom to take the money out.

To the gypsies, I just hold up the palm of my hand and nod "no". I don't even speak. They back off very fast.

Once, I was on a bus in Malaga. A tourist from northern Europe was robbed while walking from the front to the back of the bus. People were accusing other people of doing the stealing. Luckily, we were at the very back of the bus and were not accused.

[This message has been edited by Sofia (edited 09-10-2000).]

#37004 - 09/10/00 04:08 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
I lived in Madrid this summer for 6 weeks, and I had read all of the horror stories about pickpocketing before I left, so I knew to be careful. I was sure to keep my belongings close by and stay aware of my surroundings, and I never had any incidents. Only one of my classmates had a problem on the metro, and questioned the woman who unzipped her bag and took her wallet. Just as the woman was denying it, my friend's wallet fell out from under her scarf! They went to the police station and she turned out to be a repeat offender.

The difference between Madrid and the US is that, although I had to watch my belongings very carefully, I never felt afraid for my personal safety. I could control what I carried with me, and I was sure not to carry anything that was irreplaceable. Here in the US, I think that it is much more likely that a criminal wants more than my wallet. In any big city there will be crime, but if I had to choose between petty theft and being physically assaulted, I would much rather part with my traveler's checks! Common sense and being aware of your surroundings can prevent many of the problems that occur in Madrid. It is a beautiful city, and do not let stories like these keep you from experiencing Spain!

#37005 - 09/16/00 03:56 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
filiberto Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY, USA
I've been to Madrid several times, have always been careful, and have never had any trouble. Once when my mother was with me, she was not as careful and accepted the flowers from the people talking about a flamenco show, but when I saw what was happening, I practically dragged my poor mother away from them, and let them know that I knew what their game was. I did overhear some madrilenos on the subway, when they observed how careful of our possessions my friend and I were, say, "They think we're all thieves." All in all, I'd rather be careful and offend somebody and not be a victim.
I was a target twice, and surely would have been a victim if I had not been careful, in Barcelona this summer. The first time, I was going down stairs to the subway, and a young guy pretending to be handicapped fell down in front of me and his friends tried to take my wallet from my back pocket. Fortunately, it wasn't there, since I usually carry it in my front pocket when traveling. I wish they had succeeded in getting my dirty handkerchief, though. The second time was in la Estacion de Sants. I was watching all the bags and backpacks for my friend while he went to the restroom, and a morrocan tried to get my attention by asking directions so that his accomplice could take off with a backpack. I did not give them an opportunity, even though I really wasn't aware of what was going on until a Spanish man from across the waiting room came over to alert me. Even though they did not get anything, it was really infuriating to be targeted like that.
I will continue to go to Spain. I love Madrid and most other regions where I have been. But I will be careful.

------------------
filiberto

#37006 - 09/17/00 11:02 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
jslamen Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
I've been monitoring this thread ever since we decided to go to Spain in November... All the advice is good, BUT --- I'm an enthusiastic photographer and can hardly stand the idea of leaving my equipment behind for fear of it being stolen. Does anyone have any ideas on the best ways to protect 35mm cameras and extra eqpt. when travelling in Madrid or Andalusia? I'm depressed at the idea of missing out on two weeks of photographing the trip I've dreamed of.

#37007 - 09/17/00 11:54 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
jslamen, I am in the same situation as you. Everytime I go to Madrid, I'm almost always carrying around my video camera and bag and a 35mm camera. I'm almost always alone and the best you can do is be careful. I know. I know. This is an obvious suggestion. Just keep your camera bags zipped at all times, have the bag over your neck-and-shoulder, and have one arm over that bag at all times. I've even been in the busy parts of Madrid like the Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, along the Gran Vía, and in the metro with my cameras out, I'm focusing on some point of interest, and I'm happy they never targeted me.....yet. If you have to put your bag down when you're at a bar or on the street I always wrap the strap around my leg once or twice so that if they grab-and-run at least I'll fall down and can probably grab the strap before they can get it unravelled from my leg. Another way is to buy a second strap and while your camera bag is around your neck and shouler, you can attach another strap on either end of the bag and around your waist. Sounds like overkill probably, but you'll be sure they won't run off with your bag this way. Take a GOOOOD look around before you start concentrating on the thing you're focusing on. I always think that if you make eye contact with the person who might want to grab your bag that they'll be less likely to do so if they know you got a good look at them first.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37008 - 09/18/00 02:35 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Another hint, write down all the serial numbers, model number, etc of your cameras and if you can make pictures of them much better. If they get stolen you go to the "comisaria" and they can try to find them. You have to know that without that information is almost impossible for them to find your stuff.

#37009 - 09/19/00 05:36 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Natalie Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm going to Spain in 3 weeks, and am getting very nervous about the crime! I've been reading so many postings about pickpockets, and I plan to be aware & careful but I hope that nothing happens.

Is it possible that it isn't really THAT bad, but we just hear about the instances where something happens? I mean, do most people get pickpocketed (or attempted) or do most people NOT? It like crime in Los Angeles (where I live.) Nothing ever has happened to me (knock on wood) but from the news/messageboards/papers you would get the impression that everyone gets carjacked/randomly shot/caught in a riot.

What do you think? Is it really that bad in Spain? What are the chances that someone is going to try to pickpocket or mug me or my husband?

And what's a tip for "looking like a local?" (I'm Asian, so that's probably going to be sort of hard to do!)

[This message has been edited by Natalie (edited 09-19-2000).]

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2046 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments