Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >
Topic Options
#36990 - 08/03/00 01:01 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Regal_media,
There is one thing that you said that it was interesting, verbal harrassment is a reality. Well, here in the States everything is harrassment.I really miss when I was in Spain and boys said to me "guapa". That is not verval harrassment unless they say disgusting things or they follow you. I think that women are too extreme here in the States(I don't mean to offend anybody, it is just my opinion) if a man look at you, say something to you or anything he can be go to jail for harrassment. Don't American women like when a stranger tell them how beautiful they are? Or how nice they look? I mean, in Spain most of men and boys do that, and they are nor scary or drunk, they are just guys that when they see a pretty woman they like to express theirself. Of course I think this is a culture thing and maybe some of you think that I am crazy but I really like when someone say to me that I am "guapa".

#36991 - 08/03/00 02:47 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Nuria, I agree with you 100%. I loved getting piropos in Madrid, and the comments never made me feel unsafe. But if a man I didn't know said the same thing to me in English here in the States, I'd probably get worried! I agree it's a cultural thing. It's also something that makes me prefer life in Spain. I think women are respected much more in Spain, and are treated very well.

#36992 - 08/03/00 03:04 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
CCG Offline

Loc: USA
rgf, you mentioned having things stolen when you stayed at Asturias on c/Sevilla, and I saw another post that claims that c/Carretas (looks like just a few blocks from c/Sevilla on the map) is known as a dangerous street. I will be staying at Asturias soon (female, alone) and I'm wondering if anyone has advice about getting from there to the metro. Is it better to walk to the Sevilla station or to the Sol station?
Also, I have to take medicine by injection every day and I'm wondering if it will be safe to leave syringes and needles in my room (they are packed in a medicine travel kit that looks like a fanny pack). Reading this thread makes me think that carrying lots of stuff around town would be a bad idea, too. I don't know about the laws in Madrid, but in the States you can't just go to the local drug store and get replacements without a prescription, so having them stolen would put me in a real bind. Any suggestions?

#36993 - 08/03/00 03:33 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi CCG,

I would get off at Sol station. Sevilla is a very solitary station so you would feel more comfortable in a place where there are more people around you.

Carrera de San Jerónimo (the street from Sol to Hotel Asturias) is usually very crowded as well. However this is what it makes it a good target for pickpockets.

As for medicine, you won't have any problems to buy syringes without prescription. In fact, this is what drug addicts do. However, you may need prescription to get your medicine. Talk with the Spanish embassy. They may know about taking / getting that kind of medicine here in Spain.

Have a nice time in Madrid,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#36994 - 08/03/00 06:01 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
CCG Offline

Thanks so much, Antonio. This info makes the trip much less stressful. I've been to other parts of Europe but missed out on Spain, so I'm really looking forward to this!

#36995 - 08/03/00 06:45 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
I'd say the Sevilla metro is fine in the day (meaning up to 10 PM). A good thing to do is have a suitcase with a good lock that cannot be easily picked. If you put stuff like your syringes in a locked case, you should be OK. My belongings at Asturias (20+ years ago!!) were in UNLOCKED cases, drawers,etc. Remember when you get off the metro, be it Sol or Sevilla, know where you are going, and don't stop to read maps. The area right around Asturias is actually nice. write us of your experiences!
rgf

#36996 - 08/16/00 03:18 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Once again:

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:05:30 EDT

Hi:
Returned last week from our trip and wanted to update you on the hostal in Madrid. We used Cerval which was nice. The people were helpful and the location fine. Ufortunately, my daughter was mugged right in front of the door while waiting to be buzzed in. We were told, actually warned about problems in Madrid. The desk said not to carry any type of purse. We were very careful but my daughter did have a very small wallet under her arm. It happened so fast that only when we heard her screaming did we realize that he was dragging her on the ground.

Such a shame. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36997 - 08/18/00 09:53 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
CCG Offline

I am happy to report that I had a wonderful trip to Madrid and even felt safe walking around alone. I live in a US city with a reputation for high crime, so I tend to be very careful and observant of my surroundings. I felt much safer walking alone in Madrid than I do in my home town. In one place, though, it seemed that I was the only woman on the street not dressed in tiny spandex and standing in a doorway (I assume these women were prostitutes) so I quickly headed to a location where I felt more comfortable.
I explored the central part of the city quite a bit on foot and by city bus. I wondered into some neighborhoods that seemed to be poorer than the more touristy places, which normally causes me to put my guard up a little when in the US, but I didn't have any trouble. Even though I was exploring, I walked as if I knew where I was going, I didn't carry any bags, I kept my money (just enought for the day) deep in my front pocket, and I dressed a little nicer than usual (leather shoes, no sneakers or T-shirts), but without looking like I had money (no jewelry). I considered my "disguise" a success when someone asked me for directions in Spanish!
By the way, the Hotel Asturias was fine. I had a safe in my room where I kept my syringes, and the desk staff were great about getting my medicine out of the bar fridge when I needed it. It was a great location (near Puerta del Sol). My biggest complaint would be the noise into the early morning hours (partying, traffic). The ear plugs that the airline handed out on the way over really came in handy! (Sorry, not all of this really belongs here, but I mentioned the Hotel as a security issue in a previous message and thought I should give them a good word).

#36998 - 08/20/00 10:48 PM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
Wendy E Offline

I was in Madrid in 1995 for three days and three times did someone attempt to rob or pickpocket me.

I was quite outraged that someone would rustle through my backpack, and when I whirled around to ask him what the hell he thought he was doing, he ran away.
Another time someone tried to trick me and my friends into leaving our daypacks, I yelled at them, too.
A third time, someone was literally casing us, I told him quite plainly, "I know what you're doing, so get the hell away from us."

Moral of the story is, don't be afraid to yell at these people. I don't think they were violent - all these things occured in busy areas - but by all means let the potential robbers know you're on to them.

And wear a money belt!!

#36999 - 08/22/00 09:36 AM Re: Pickpockets in Madrid (an email)
nnorton Offline

Loc: SF, CA, USA
I just read through all of your replies because my 22 year old daughter is coming to visit me in Madrid and I am concerned for her safety when out by herself. I have lived her for almost a year on & off for business and I think I blend in pretty well, though I do usually carry a backpack sort of purse in the day or a smaller purse across my chest in the evenings. The most concerning incident that has happened to me was a couple of weekends ago on a Sunday afternoon in the Salamanca district, which is considered one of the best in Madrid. Admittedly I was one of few people on the street, since it was 3pm on a hot Sunday afternoon. Anyway, a middle-aged man asked me for directions from a decent looking car stopped a the light. I moved closer to hear him. While I was explaining the way to the local VIPs he started pulling on my shirt sleeve. This alarmed me and I realized that another man had gotten out of the back door. I immediately suspected robbery and grabbed the man in the front seat by the shirt sleeve, but then realized that I was entirely vulnerable as there were 4 men in the car. I let him go and backed off and they quickly drove off in the car having not gotten anything from the partly open pocket of my purse.

The first lesson here is never approach a car to respond to any question! (And I should know better, having lived in NYC and SF!) The second is that distraction/disturbance is a common ploy of thieves in Madrid and elsewhere. As someone else said, if there is a commotion go on alert. A man I was with was pickpocketed and lost his wallet near the Rastro on a crowded sidewalk when a man in front of him pretended to trip and fall. While everyone was trying to help him up, at least one wallet was stolen from the crowd.

I really like Madrid and the people here and walk all over the city by myself, even at night. But I think the theft problem is getting worse and you have to be careful especially in the tourist areas.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2089 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments