Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36906 - 08/06/07 05:46 PM Weather in Madrid
joycenj Offline

I have been checking the weather in Madrid and the temperatures seem to be in the high 80's low 90's...with relatively low humidity. Is this correct? Also, I have been reading posts about not wearing shorts to restaurants at night. (or even during the day) Would it be inappropriate or will it just make us stand out as tourists - which I am not bothered by!! I don't think my 13 year old son will want to wear pants at all!

#36907 - 08/06/07 06:22 PM Re: Weather in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Lately, I'd say it's more likely been in the mid-to-upper 90s for highs. Personally, "I hate heat" but since it is "a dry heat" it's a bit more bearable.

I wear shorts during the day almost without exception - even to our restaurant, lunchtime outing today.

But if my plan was to ONLY go to some terraza at night during one of these hot nights you can be sure that I would not hesitate to wear shorts. However, if I was going to a restaurant or indoor tapas bar I would wear my new and wonderfully light LINEN pants. Man, I never owned a pair before coming to Madrid and they're almost as comfortable as shorts, so thin and light. Nearly better than shorts themselves.

If you can find linen pants those are the way to go for nighttime, summer clothing. Madrid is well accustomed to tourists so you'll just be one of a near majority if you choose to wear shorts. And unless your Spanish is flawless you'll likely be "marked" as a tourist anyway.

It is rare to see Spaniards wearing shorts at night, however. Sometimes when I wear shorts in the day my Spanish friends tease me that I'm in "Plan Tourist". I laugh with them because I'd rather be comfortable than miserable and drowning in my own sweat while wearing regular long pants or jeans. eek

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36908 - 08/07/07 03:11 AM Re: Weather in Madrid
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
My 12 year old son lived in shorts during the summers in Madrid. No one has a problem with that. I have also certainly seen many more older Madrilenos in shorts this year than I remember from the last couple of years. But as MadridMan says, as the sun goes down, most switch back to long pants. Also for women, you will see more skirts than you would in the US, just as cool as shorts and a little dressier. Of course it depends on what type of restaurant you are talking about. I still doubt a 13 year old in shorts would be unusual.

As far as temperatures, MM, Torero and I were talking about it at lunch yesterday. This has been a relatively cool summer for Madrid, it's been hotter in our parts of the USA this summer, and more humid. That said, last week saw the real summer tempuratures, upper 90s and over 100 on Saturday. Evenings remain pleasent, but all the concrete and stone radiate the heat they have absorbed during the day.

#36909 - 08/07/07 02:36 PM Re: Weather in Madrid
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
MadridMan,
ok, so shorts are gaining acceptance. How about t-shirts? I don't travel without my t-shirt emblazened with:

Ohio State Buckeyes
National Champions
laugh

#36910 - 08/07/07 05:07 PM Re: Weather in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
rolleyes <- that's the tuxedo-wearing dinner waiter at upscale Restaurante L\'Hardy upon seeing you. wink hehe..

Go Bucks! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36911 - 08/08/07 05:01 AM Re: Weather in Madrid
michelle_s Offline

I went to Barcelona at Christmas time when the temperatures were approximately 70 degrees, so while the Spaniards were all wrapped up in their scarfs and coats, we were walking around with t-shirts on in the very pleasant weather smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments