Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36858 - 11/06/06 09:56 PM WHat to take for two week immersion trip
ChicagoDiablito Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I'm studying Spanish on my own, for about 5 months now. When I go to Madrid for two weeks next year I want to be as prepared as possible for my first International trip.

I know I will need plenty of clothes since I will be in a student flat. Toiletries, body smell goods, my cell phone, money(well Euros which I will learn to count in), Shoes, Maybe a Jacket, all my I.Ds, passport. Ok now Im out of ideas lol.

What else would be essential for me to take for two weeks?

#36859 - 11/06/06 10:25 PM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
Vegas baby Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
Prescription medicines & glasses (if you need them)luggage locks/padlocks for lockers,credit card theft notification ph.#'s first aid/sewing kit.

#36860 - 11/07/06 07:41 AM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
... When I go to Madrid for two weeks next year I want to be as prepared as possible for my first International trip.
... I know I will need plenty of clothes since I will be in a student flat.
Your required clothing will depend on the time of year you're planning to visit.
Quote:
Toiletries, body smell goods, my cell phone, money(well Euros which I will learn to count in), Shoes, Maybe a Jacket, all my I.Ds, passport. Ok now Im out of ideas lol.
Are you sure your cell phone will work in Spain?? Unless it's a 'quad band' world phone, it probably won't. Even if it is, you will need to buy a SIM card for it.
Quote:
Estoy aprendiendo Español. Yo voy a ir a España el próximo año!
Try this: Estoy intentando aprender Español. Voy a pasar dos semanas en España el año que viene. rolleyes

How about a Debit/ATM card? ATM's are the best way to get Euros at a good conversion rate.

I would also recommend a Spanish Phrasebook for those times when your self-taught Spanish just doesn't cut-it.

#36861 - 11/07/06 10:25 AM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
ChicagoDiablito Offline

Quote:
Try this: Estoy intentando aprender Español. Voy a pasar dos semanas en España el año que viene
im sorry, did i offend you since you are rolling your eyes?

#36862 - 11/07/06 10:28 AM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
carlos11 Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
Don't forget your underwares! Change everyday,just in case your in an accident.You don't want to go to the hospital in dirty underwares now do you? laugh

#36863 - 11/07/06 10:29 AM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
ChicagoDiablito Offline

yes yes can't forget those. lmao!!

#36864 - 11/07/06 02:50 PM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
jabch Offline

I think ChicagoDiablito's sentence is gramatically correct. She/he does not sound like a native speaker/writer, but it is ok... How about just "Estoy aprendiendo español. ¡Voy a España el próximo año!"

#36865 - 11/07/06 09:34 PM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

The prescription medications are a must, of course, but you may also want to consider bringing over-the-counter medications in small amounts. In Spain you can find the equivalent of American medications, but if you're not feeling well, it's better to have those things on hand.

Also, the farmacias in Spain are not all open 24 hours like the American drug stores. There will be some open for emergencies, but you will have to hunt them down. Think of things you normally use, such as Advil, Pepto Bismol, Nyquil, etc. You don't have to bring loads of medicine, but a few essentials may be a nice safeguard.

Also, this isn't a necessity, but you may want to consider bringing a small notebook. I always bring a small, inexpensive notebook (I usually buy one for 99 cents at the local drug store before I leave!) so that I can write down where I went, what I ate, and other miscellaneous notes. I don't keep a journal because I'm too busy doing other things, but when I label my photos when I come home it's helpful to have the notes. I just keep it in my backpack with me at all times (with a pen, of course). I have kept all these little notebooks and it's fun to reread them.

Lastly, if you intend to send any postcards, you should bring addresses of your friends and family with you. You can buy stamps at any estanco.

Espero que te diviertas mucho, y tengo mucha envidia. laugh

#36866 - 11/08/06 02:43 AM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
Vegas baby Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
I would also make a list & check it twice your gonna find out whos naughty or nice...oh wait thats another list LMAO

#36867 - 11/08/06 04:19 AM Re: WHat to take for two week immersion trip
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Madrid has lots and lots of 24 hour pharmacies--many more than any American city that I ever lived in--especially in the center of town. You can find a list of them in the newspaper. Sometimes you have to ring a bell and they will come to the door and find out what you need.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments