Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36840 - 09/06/06 05:45 PM Exchange rates?
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Anyone in Madrid or the area have any recent currency exchange data for Dollars converted to Euros?

Just wondering. Getting sunk here by lousy fees and rates.

Admiral44.

#36841 - 09/07/06 06:46 AM Re: Exchange rates?
puppyfeat Offline

Loc: London
I'm not in Madrid or even in Spain (at least not for another 2 weeks) but the interbank rate is currently 1 US Dollar = 0.78079 Euro /1 Euro (EUR) = 1.28076 US Dollar (USD) (http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic)

But why bother exchanging loads of $$$ in adavnce when you can just use your plastic in the ATMs? Ok, you'll pay a fee each time you make a withdrawal, but it'll probably work out less than exchanging cash in advance, it's a lot more convenient and it's safer because you won't have to take so much money with you (also, your money will stay in your account earning you interest longer than if you take it out in one lump sum beforehand). And you won't even have to worry about the language because in Spain, the cash machines give you an English option.

#36842 - 09/07/06 06:53 AM Re: Exchange rates?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You can also check going rates (although rates typically vary by bank and ATM) @ http://www.MadridMan.com/currencyconverter.html

As puppyfeat states above, withdrawing cash from ATMs always gives you the BEST exchange rate and, depending on your bank (and the ATM you're using), you may not be charged a fee for the international exchange.

See you Saturday, Admiral44!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36843 - 09/08/06 01:32 PM Re: Exchange rates?
shabba53 Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
I agree. You will get the best bottom line results using your ATM card or paying with a credit card.

#36844 - 09/20/06 12:34 PM Re: Exchange rates?
CJA Offline

Loc: California
I was just in Spain for the entire summer and the exchange rate always fluctuated from around 1.28-1.32/1euro.
I exchanged some money at Bank of America, almost free of charge, there is a 7.50 shipping fee, but besides that I used ATM's and my visa debit card for just about everything.

#36845 - 09/20/06 12:58 PM Re: Exchange rates?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
just as an aside - and I know this has been discussed before - what thread I don't know - but Bank of America ATMs charge some of the highest rates of any bank - and, sad to say that is still true despite their purchase of MBNA which allowed them a door into the EU .....

#36846 - 09/23/06 12:22 PM Re: Exchange rates?
PaulinMadrid Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, Ca
One thing I did find out though regarding using the Spanish ATM's, VISA looks at more than 1 use within 15 minutes as unusual activity and will turn your card off for secutity reasons. If this happens when out of town it can be a major pain in the ass.

Make sure you notify your financial institution you will be leaving he country and for how long or the first few days can turn into a nightmare.

Later, Paul

#36847 - 09/23/06 01:06 PM Re: Exchange rates?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Watch out, because some ATMs (and stores like Zara) try to do the exchange on foreign debit and credit cards now. It's always a very unfavorable rate, so be sure to decline this option.

#36848 - 09/23/06 03:52 PM Re: Exchange rates?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
madridmadridmadridmadridmadridmadrid, is that right? That might explain why suddently, recently, I'm being charged a "foreign exchange fee" when using my USA-based debit card for cash at the local Caja Madrid ATMs when I was never charged this fee before. At the ATM screen, however, you don't have an option. I'll check it again soon to see if it wasn't a one-time fluke or if it's a new, permanent policy to stick-it-to-us once again. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36849 - 09/23/06 08:43 PM Re: Exchange rates?
Irlandés Offline

Loc: Dublin
madridmadridmadridmadridetc seems to have discovered the joys of 'Dynamic Currency Conversion.' Retailers are meant to give overseas customers the choice of payng in euro (good) or their own currency (not so good). Always check the amount and currency symbol on the terminal before you sign or enter your PIN. http://www.fexcodcc.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments