Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36760 - 03/31/06 04:12 PM Madrid - What to Wear mid-May
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Hi...

My wife and I will be in Madrid May 11-18. Assuming normal weather (hi-70 lo-50 as I understand it), what KINDS of clothes are appropriate for walking around town. We are middle-age, not teens or college age, but around home we tend to go for jeans, t-shirts, athletic shoes.

Specifically -- what shoes are OK, and will not scream "turisto!" Are T-shirts acceptable if the weather goes into the mid-high 70s?

In the evening, at tapas bars or simple restaurants, what is expected?

How about in museums/other sites?

And last, what about day-trips to Segovia, El Escorial and Toledo? Any tips on acceptable dress?

Thanks.
Steve Sander

#36761 - 04/01/06 05:20 AM Re: Madrid - What to Wear mid-May
janel Offline

Loc: Madrid
Casual dress in spain would be more like what we would call "business casual" in the States. Jeans are fine but pack other things too. For an evening of tapas or casual restaurants you will feel more comfortable with Non-sports shoes and maybe a button down shirt for men instead of t-shirt.

T-Shirts are fine during the day. But make it a nicer one, not one advertising US sports teams. smile
White socks are for sports.
For day trips, Id say the same, If you are doing a lot of walking around you may want sports shoes (which yes, you will look like a tourist but thats ok) but if you are going to have lunch at a nice place you will probably feel out of place with them though...

At El Escorial DO wear tennis shoes if you want to walk in the mountains around the monestary for a bit.
Hope this helps!

#36762 - 04/03/06 03:03 PM Re: Madrid - What to Wear mid-May
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
The month of May is not to far away. So whatever shoes you are going wear with make sure they are well broken in.

Madrid, Segovia, Toledo and El Escorial are places you want to walk around to really enjoy them.

I wear comfortable, well broken in casual shoes, like Timberland or Rockports that I can walk in them all day and my feet will not hurt. They are black, water proofed and I can easy polish them when I get they get dirty.

I found in Madrid since I was going out more to tapas bars and resturants, I worn a nice shirt and dark pants. I can honestly say I was more comfortable dressing this way because I could fit in and not look like a tourist.

Have fun in Spain! I certain did and will in the future. cloud9

Bill

#36763 - 04/05/06 07:04 AM Re: Madrid - What to Wear mid-May
3pebbles Offline

Hi,
The weather in Madrid during May can be (usually is in fact!) unpredicable. So it's probably a good idea to bring waterproofs and at least one warm jacket. Smart casual - absolutely for the evenings, just also remember to be comfortable.
I hope you really enjoy your stay in Madrid, this is a fantastic city.
Sarah

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments