Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36751 - 03/21/06 11:48 AM Several Good Tips!
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Out of experience... When I went to Spain 2 years ago, I packed 3 copies of papers with all kinds of important info such as itinerary, emergency phone numbers and credit card phone numbers just in case you lose it or if you get robbed. I already had the numbers ready and knew where American Express had an office... It's algo a good idea to leave at home with someone you trust a few signed checks to your bank account just in case they need to wire you some money. I had my wallet stollen the 4th day of my 17 day trip and I was able to manage with a replacement AMEX and western union wire transfers. Always have copies of everything with you on your bag.. and your wallet. Never give out your passport... even if they ask to, instead give them a photocopy of it. Sometimes to rent the audioguides they will ask to keep your passport while you use it.. I gave them the copy and had no problem. Hope this helps! wink

#36752 - 03/21/06 03:20 PM Re: Several Good Tips!
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I like those tips. What I can't believe is that they actually asked to keep your passport while you used the audioguide. Is that common? I've never used one so I wouldn't know, maybe it is. But you're right, that's not the type of thing I would ever hand over to anyone in an unofficial situation.

#36753 - 03/22/06 02:57 AM Re: Several Good Tips!
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
In some places we, Spaniards, are asked for our National ID Cards to rent the audioguides. It is just to ensure that you will return the electronic gadget back. The clerks ask for your passports in the same situation, considering that it is the equivalent document, but actually isn't (if they loose or damage it by mistake, you would be in serious trouble).

I would suggest that, next time it happens to you, say that you don't carry your passport with you, but offer some other ID Card you have (Work badge, drivers' license,...). I am sure they will accept.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments