Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36734 - 03/03/06 05:53 PM Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
tennisbum Offline

Loc: Scottsdale Arizona
My bank now charges $5 for each transaction, where previously I had 3 free exchanges per month. We are traveling in Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Madrid and Barcelona. Is there a maximum amount of cash you can get out of an ATM machine? If so, what is that amount? I would like to be able to get 1000 or 1200 Euros at a time if possible, since I have to pay for 2 apartments in cash. I think Traveler's Cheques is a bad way to exchange money because the rate is not good, correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Scott

#36735 - 03/03/06 06:23 PM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
eltorero Offline

Well, I was going to say that ATM was the best choice, though I can't remember if you can get that much out. You might try using an ATM two or three times consecutively, taking out a few hundred each time to get to your total. You might be able to get 1000 at once. I'm not sure. You could always have money wired from home.

#36736 - 03/04/06 05:19 AM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Be sure to also check the Exchanging Dollars to Euro thread in this forum category.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36737 - 03/04/06 09:45 AM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
You know, I have this idea that you can take different maximum amounts out of different ATM machines, but I can't remember if I figured that out in Spain or somewhere else. I have this idea that you can get more cash out of a machine inside a bank than outside a bank, and from a larger, better-known bank than a smaller, more local one. (I never checked this theory, and there are probably loads of exceptions based on where you are.) When I've needed large amounts of cash ($1000 - $1200 sounds like it may be too high for one ATM transaction), I've gone to different banks' ATMs, and even planned to take my max out of one the night before, and the rest the next morning.

#36738 - 03/04/06 10:22 AM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Check with your U.S. bank. Typically, the maximum withdrawal is determined by the local bank. Often, it's $500 or even $300 at a time. With the current exchange rates, you may be limited to 400 Euros.

#36739 - 03/04/06 10:29 AM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Seems to me the Caja Madrid ATMs allowed a maximum of 500 Euros withdrawn at one time (or probably, per day).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36740 - 03/06/06 06:47 AM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
The maximum is a combination of what your bank allows for daily withdrawals and what the ATM's bank allows for maximum transaction. Most US banks I'm familiar with have a max between $300 and $500 per day. I've also found that when I've made an ATM withdrawal in the evening in Madrid. I'm unable to make another one before US banking hours the next day.

#36741 - 03/21/06 10:21 PM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
elsabet Offline

Loc: USA
I was told that you could go to a local bank and request more than the limit of a normal atm for the same fee. I've never tried it, but make sure you know what your limit is in dollars, and what that is approximately in euros, I had no problem getting my bank to increase my withdrawl limit once I called them and explained why.

#36742 - 10/08/08 03:18 PM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
I need to have 500 Euros for a flat to rent when we arrive Madrid in December.
I've got B of A and we use Deutsche Bank ATM in Spain. Does anyone know if I can get that much in one day?

Thanks

#36743 - 10/08/08 04:36 PM Re: Best Way to Exchange Dollars to Euros
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I use a British bank card ( LLoyds TSB ) - Mastercard ..And I can withdraw 500 Euros easily from the CajaMadrid ATMs ... But some ATMs from the regional banks will cap your withdrawal at 300 Euros . Also ,bear in mind , that Spanish banks , disgracefully , charge commision for withdrawing your own cash ... Sometimes upto 5 Euros . Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments