Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36671 - 10/13/05 12:31 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
el tio Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
That is exactly what happened to me in Toledo. I thought I'd sneak in one photo w/o the flash, but I forgot to turn it off (nice). As soon as the picture was taken, I knew I was busted and sure enough, a guard yelled from across the Cathedral "No sacar fotos!"

#36672 - 10/13/05 02:51 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Please respect the ban on taking photos with flash! I've seen many tourists using a flash to take pictures of tapestries and paintings. It means there'll be little to see for tourists in the next generation. In a little church in Pastrana, Guadalajara, I saw some astonishing Flemish tapestries, for example. They'd survived intact for hundreds of years but will be a collection of sad, faded rags in no time thanks to camera flashes. Personally I think most institutions are too tolerant and I feel that all cameras should be banned from museums and so on. There'll always be one trigger-happy visitor setting off a flash and damaging priceless works if cameras are allowed in.

#36673 - 10/13/05 03:54 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
As a person who is into travel photography, I treat those rules that say no photos as I would if I were a guest in someone's house. Yes I do not like it but I am a guest visiting country that is not mine.

Let the photographers in Spain change the rules, I can only follow them.

Bill

#36674 - 10/14/05 02:55 AM Re: Cameras and restrictions
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
Definitely don't use flash in low-light situations. Besides the obvious fact that it causes damage to fragile works of art, the pictures end up looking like crap anyway. I agree with this rule completely and take all my pictures by time exposure by bracing against a stable surface or by holding myself very still.

#36675 - 11/09/05 06:05 PM Re: Cameras and restrictions
eltorero Offline

Most places allow photography, except some museums or old buildings. Also, if pictures are allowed, be sure to ask if that is "con flash" o "sin flash" (with/without flash) Many places do not allow flash, but do allow pictures so be sure to know how to turn off the in-camera flash.

Just from what I can remember, the following are:

Prado Art Museum, Madrid: Pictures, no flash allowed. No video allowed. (I was surprised)

Palacio Nacional, Madrid: Pictures, no flash. Video allowed.

Monastery @ Santo Domingo de Silos: Pictures with/without flash allowed, video allowed, except in small art gallery room. No recording the monks, either.

Guggenheim Museum @ Bilbao: No pictures at all, no video.

If I am informed correctly, the police in uniform and military do not allow photos taken of them while on duty, though i don't know if this is true.

I've never had trouble taking photos anywhere, I just remember to ask every museum,etc. "Se permite sacar fotos?" o "Se permite grabar en video?"

And I'm with the other replyer, keep the gypsies with twigs who "tell fortunes" away. They are pickpockets, along with the people who want you to "sign their petition". Good luck. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments