Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36598 - 07/18/05 07:18 PM Bathroom Tissue
Chele60 Offline

Loc: Yorba Linda, California
I know this is going to sound funny because it does to me, but I wanted to get opinions from the experts (here), especially those who have traveled between the States and Spain.

At some time during my early research regarding Europe in general, I came across something somewhere that stated bathroom tissue used in Europe is not as soft and cushion-y as what we pampered Americans are used to. Eager to pass along any and all information to my S/O (before I thought he was only listening to half of what I was telling him anyway), I had forgotten I had even mentioned this and thought no more about it.

This afternoon I was going over some of the items I am planning on taking, some items I've decided to yank from my list, yada-yada-yada. He counters with: "Are you taking along toilet paper?" At first I was speechless. I told him I could bring a roll or two of travel-sized toilet paper along. (this being mostly a road trip, there might be one or two places we may end up where it might be needed and I can see the potential value in that.) But, no! He means, like, full rolls of the stuff we have here at home! I told him that we were staying in fairly nice hotels that do cater to tourists (a few of the Paradores and more well known hotels), and I would suspect toiletries would be the least of his concerns.

Now he is insisting on bringing the Charmin along and I'm sitting here in disbelief. This is a guy who thinks me bringing my straightening iron is weird, so go figure!

So, please, those who live or travel to Spain, can you tell me what the truth is to this? I know this seems a little, uh, indelicate and rather stupid, and I do apologize for that, but I'm having visions of our luggage being opened at security points across the world and rolls of toilet paper falling out much to our embarassment! (Or at least to mine!) What do I tell this guy to convince him that Spain is civilized?!?!

(And no, even though it sounds like it, this post is NOT a joke!)

#36599 - 07/18/05 08:22 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Chele60: First let me assure you that nobody is laughing at you inquiry. I personally feel that the only dumb question is the one that did not get asked.

I have stayed in hotels in several countries in Europe including Spain. The issue that you bring to question, I feel is without merit. I have stayed at the Paradors, and their tissue is of equal or better quality than the US. The better hotels are going to have good soft tissue in their bathrooms also. If you get off the beaten path and stay in some "flea bag," there might be a question. For the most part anything rated 2star or better should not give you cause for concern.

Now if you should want to take a trip down to Morroco, God help you, your on your own. wink

You straightening iron may be another issue, as Spain is set up for 240 voltage and has different wall outlets. You can get an adapter at most Radio Shack stores. Just tell the clerk where you are going and what you need.

Stay safe and enjoy. Be sure to let us know how the trip went when you get home. laugh

#36600 - 07/19/05 04:57 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
The days of tissue paper toilet paper is long gone in Spain.

I remember the first time that I visited Spain back in 1984 and was horrified by the "uncomfortable" toilet paper. In fact, I saved a few sheets and have it in my scrap book. Think party streamers. eek

Nowadays with globalization and everything else you will find a whole host of American products, including Cottonelle. So, you can lighten your load and leave the toilet paper behind! (no pun intended!)

Have a great trip! smile

#36601 - 07/19/05 07:54 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Espe3 Offline

Oh my lord! Tell him he needs to get out more!

In a public bathroom, the quality of the toilet paper (when there is some) is the same you will find in a public toilet bathroom in the US.

The quality of TTP is going to be pretty much the same you´ll find in US hotels. Let´s not kid ourselves, even in the US in a Hotel it is not typical that you´ll find Charmen (to expensive, they just plain don´t do it). And if you really don´t like it, you can find it here in the supermarket, there are all kinds cheap scratchy stuff to your nice and fluffy. Save the room in the suitcase, leave the TTP home!

#36602 - 07/19/05 08:19 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I wonder what do you say to Customs or Security officals if they search your bags and find toliet paper in you bags? How many rolls do you bring for a two week vacation? Do you bring back home what you do not use?

Bill confused

#36603 - 07/19/05 08:54 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I actually LIKE the bathroom tissue in Spain. It's MUCH firmer than that stuff that makes a paper-dust-cloud if you blow your nose with it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36604 - 07/19/05 09:58 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Years ago, the TP in Spain was horrid - not today. At one time you would actually find
TP that was waxed :o :o :o

Those dayes are long gone - and much as I giggled when I read your post - more with visions of a hulking 6 ft 3 broad-shouldered guy trucking around back-paks of Charmain - your question is not as uncommon as you think.

Have a great time - enjoy Spain - and bring a roll of TP back from Madrid to put those rumors at rest once and for all ... wink

#36605 - 07/19/05 11:16 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Chele60 Offline

First, thank you all for taking my post seriously! I do appreciate it. I have exactly 2 months from today to convince him this is a waste of suicase room, but....

As to the question of how many rolls to take? He's planning on 1. However! I went out to the Cortes Ingles site, and though I couldn't find the exact merchandise, I did find pictures of bathroom furniture with toilet paper featured and I figured that the paper pictured must be what is normally used? And it looks like what we have here in the states, so I will send that picture off to him - along with the assurances from the folks here!

Oh, and my straightening iron is dual voltage and I have the necessary plugs to adapt to Spain, so I should be good to go. (Hopefully, or just go with a curly a mop!)

Thanks again to all for the re-assurances! I just knew I could count on the folks here!

#36606 - 07/19/05 11:51 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Michele, I just took a look at your blog and saw your questions on the shuttle service betweeen LA environs and LAX. When I was based in LA (and in SF and spending a good deal of time in LA for work) I used that shuttle alot! It's good - pricey but on time and a whole lot easier than navigating LAX. It's well worth it ...

#36607 - 07/19/05 03:17 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Chele60 Offline

Puna ~ Thanks for the confirmation regarding the shuttle to LAX! Always nice to know one is on the right path!

#36608 - 07/20/05 01:44 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
TJGuy Offline

Loc: Florida
smile smile ha ha ..chica actually saved toilet paper from a trip as a keepsake........... oooooh brother.... that's rich smile smile

#36609 - 07/20/05 04:32 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Hey TJ guy.. I was 16 at the time, what could you expect?! I saved EVERYTING from that trip! A drink stirrer from VIPs, menus, stubs to museums and movies. You name it, it's in my scrapbook! laugh

#36610 - 07/25/05 12:07 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
TJGuy Offline

Loc: Florida
now that you are an older, worldier woman, do we want to know what you now put in your scrapbooks??? wink iiiiickk

#36611 - 07/25/05 12:29 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Puna Offline
Executive Member

LOL! laugh laugh laugh

#36612 - 07/28/05 02:05 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Chica Offline
Executive Member

oooohhh TJGuy... you are asking a very dangerous question! laugh

#36613 - 08/01/05 06:17 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
deedip Offline

Loc: chicago
never underestimate the power of a roll of TP. true stories: my dad was living/working in bangladesh back in the middle '80s. the area where he lived was threatened by flooding of biblical proportions. everybody ran to the store to stock up on essentials like food and water. not my dad though, he went for every available roll of TP. for the duration of the flood and aftermath he cheerfully exchanged TP for things like chocolate, pop and oh yeah... food and water. he learned this trick in jamaica in 1969 when the island's only toilet paper factory burned down. a family of 6 can flush a lot of paper down the john so as soon as he heard about the "tragedy" he went out and bought cases of the local TP in order to avoid having to pay the huge duty on the imported stuff. when we moved back to the states a year later the TP came with us. my dad passed away a couple of years ago but we still laugh about him and his relationship with bathroom tissue...

#36614 - 08/02/05 11:07 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Chele60 Offline

deedip, sometimes it's the basic things that keep our survival going, isn't. Whether it be toilet paper or drinking water, it doesn't matter. I guess it's a wise man or woman who has the forethought to figure out ahead of time what might be needed and act upon it.

Your father sounds as if he were just such a person. You were lucky to have had such a person in your life.

#36615 - 08/04/05 08:55 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Raquel_dup1 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I found toilet paper to be some what of an issues too, although for a completely different reason!!! I HIGHLY recommend that on evenings when you are heading to bars that you bring a small package of tissues. Especially for women, the bathrooms ran out of toilet paper almost immediately!! Many of the local supermarkets sell these small packages of tissues for really cheap!!

#36616 - 08/06/05 03:05 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Spanadian Offline

Loc: Spain
Hi Chele,

Thought I'd help you out here. I live in Spain and have been using Spanish bathroom tissue for about 3 years and I can assure you I am intimately familiar with it. You can get 3 or 4 ply bathroom tissue in just about any grocery store or stores that sell household products without any problem. Just like back home in North America. One brand is called "Scottex", ring any bells? Another brand is called "foxy" (or something like that) and isn't too bad. There's another comfortable brand for delicate tushies called "Colhogar". Anyway in my HO it would be silly to waste any packing space on bathroom tissue. Bathroom tissue is not an issue.

As a reasonably well travelled Canadian I can also tell you that hotel bathroom tissue, in any country, can be a "crap" shoot (sorry couldn't resist wink . Sometimes you get good, sometimes you get bad and US hotels are certainly no exception to that rule.

Now if you were asking about those horrible waxy "napkin" paper you get in tapas bars here...somebody should really do something about those.

Spanadian

#36617 - 08/08/05 04:11 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Chele60 Offline

Raquel ~ Thanks for the heads up! I always carry a little packet of tissues with me and can use those in almost any "emergency" situation. Can't speak for my boyfriend on that - he's on his own! smile

Spanadian ~ Thank you for your experience. I think I've managed to dissuade him from packing any rolls, but who knows? We do not live together, so I'm not quite sure what will be found when he opens his suitcase. I've simply resolved myself to the fact that he's a grown man and he can use his packing space however he chooses. All I know is that it's going to be very interesting when we get to Spain!

#36618 - 08/14/05 04:48 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Britgirl Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
On the toilet paper tip! my experience has been that the further south in spain you travel the less the sewage system can cope with paper of any sort! Many places i have stayed in Andalucia have asked for used paper to be placed in a bag and not flushed at all!!! Even in some of the more classy restaurants i have seen toilets overflowing!!! If this kind of experience is tooo european for anyone, i would leave the charmin at home!!

#36619 - 08/17/05 10:17 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Jordi Offline

Loc: Berlin
Considering that you might experience digestive disorders due to the unusual food, you should at least take 20 rolls of your usual toilet paper with you. Infected backsides can be very sensitive to anything unusual.

There is another problem: due to the fact that your US residues might be unusual for the Spanish sewage system, you might consider taking appropriate packaging so that you can take your droppings back home. You might want to check with customs first, though.

Seriously: even if you find that the toilet paper in this or that restaurant or hostel does not suit your needs, you can find all sorts of paper in all sorts of color and types in every supermarket in Spain.

Is this the first time leaving home?

#36620 - 11/07/05 10:19 AM Re: Bathroom Tissue
Guiri Grande Offline

Loc: San Antonio
I am with Spanadian, they need to get rid those little wax napkins that tapa restaurants have. When I was taking students every summer, they would all ask me what they were for since they did not serve much use.

As far as TP goes, I stayed at the Complutense the first summer I went to Spain (1984). You can only imagine what the TP was like in that dorm. It almost had splinters coming out of it!!!! eek Thank goodness those days are over!!!

#36621 - 11/09/05 05:57 PM Re: Bathroom Tissue
eltorero Offline

I've been to Spain and I never even thought to notice a difference so I guess its the same; but I say leave it anyway even if it were not as "cushiony". For me, packing light is an enjoyment in itself as I see other tourist hassling with five huge suitcases, I merely walk on by with my duffel. Obviously, the amount of "extras" you choose to bring along is your choice, but for me, travelling in Spain is such an experience, I'm not worried about such details. Your choice. Good luck and happy wiping! wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments