Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36581 - 07/25/05 06:06 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
msk, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for your firsthand follow-up with your experiences. They're MUCH appreciated and will no doubt be useful for future travelers to Spain's churches and cathedrals. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36582 - 07/26/05 10:52 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
okay folks, my background is getting the best of me here - and this is barely reference Spain so apologies in advance MM -

Because I believe in honesty, integrity and truth rolleyes rolleyes when it comes to definitions - the true Hawaiian print shirts are faded - an almost inside-out look .... Those chintzy garrish screamingly bright prints are not what is considered Hawaiian. And da local folks -dey never wear faux Hawaiian print bermudas - no mor dan they do wear de kine a dose black knee socks with d' sandals ....

If you can speak pidgeon - you know what the heck your talking about .... laugh :p

Sorry for the transgression here -

#36583 - 07/26/05 11:48 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
saritisima24_dup1 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
From what I remember, not many Spaniards wear shorts in the first place, no matter what time of year. I spent a year in Madrid - this is just what I remember. I brought I couple of pairs of shorts and I don't think I ever used them. Mostly I just wore skirts if I wore anything short-like.

#36584 - 07/27/05 02:09 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I don't agree. Many spaniards wear shorts, specially when being tourists. We tend to be a little more dressy, but not so much!!

#36585 - 07/28/05 09:16 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?

I just know what I saw when I lived there wink

#36586 - 07/28/05 10:24 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
saritisima24, during what year(s) did you live in Madrid? If it's been awhile I think the shorts-wearing custom has changed somewhat. I saw quite a few people wearing shorts but rarely did I see anyone over, say, 50 years old wearing shorts. I think it's a generational thing. People who barely remember the Franco years or those who were born after Franco's death are much more likely to wear shorts than older folks.

As for Shorts in cathedrals, you'll likely be better accepted in the big cities than in the village churches unless those churches are on the tourist path.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36587 - 07/28/05 11:52 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM sez:

Quote:
I saw quite a few people wearing shorts but rarely did I see anyone over, say, 50 years old wearing shorts.
I'd like to think that has little to do with mores, rules or regs - but more with common sense - there aren't that many 50+ who have the figure to be in shorts! wink

Anyone remember way back when there wasd a somewhat similar discussion - about Speedos as I recall - Wolf and AF - where are you guys now?

#36588 - 07/28/05 10:09 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?

I lived in Madrid from 99 to 2000 and went back to visit in 2003. So it wasn't that long ago. I'm just saying I never noticed that many shorts, and for sure my host family never wore any, nor did anyone I ever hung out with (and my host sister is only one day older than me in age, same year and everything...We're 24). No biggie! smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments