Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36571 - 06/25/05 07:34 PM Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
msk Offline

Loc: CA
I've been to Italy many times and the old adage that they won't let you in to religious sites wearing shorts or skirts above the knees no longer really applies.
Now I hear that Spain still holds dear to this policy. Is it true?
I would hate to go all that way and not be allowed admitance but I also hope to stay cool in 95 degree temps.
What do you advise tastefully, but temperature sensitive travelers to wear?

#36572 - 06/25/05 08:27 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
lakey Offline

Loc: New York
You'll have to hear from the locals on the acceptability of shorts.
I'm curious about exposed shoulders. Is that still a no-no?

However, I do well with pants that zip off into shorts and zip back into pants. LL. bean, landsend, travelsmith and probably
other catalog sell these pants. Plus stores that have outdoor clothing and equipment. Columbia sportswear is one brand.
I had to have shorts that turned into pants on a trip where we had to leap from a small boat into the surf, then clamber about really exposed sun on land for hours. I didn't want to go around with drippy,waterlogged legs.I didn't want to burn. I didn't want anything heavy and hot. Voila, zip-offs.
They are great problem solvers, light, comfortable, very protective against scorching sun (30 pdf ), easy to wash, easy to dry,good pockets. I have personally worn them in all kinds of strong sun situations. Hihgly recommended

#36573 - 06/30/05 03:37 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I don't think it's a "policy," especially at a governmental level. I do feel it's a sign of respect towards a religious way of life that may or may not be your own.

Speaking from an American point of view, I find it unfortunate that "pigwear" has become the dress standard almost anywhere in the U.S., and I lament that many Americans "bring the pig" with them when they travel abroad. Those floral print bermudas may fly at Universal Studios Orlando eek , but keep them in the case when you're at the Almudena, amigo.

Of course I'm incredibly grateful that the reverse trend with regards to beachwear has not occurred: I look horrible [as do most men that are not playing water polo] in a Speedo. eek

#36574 - 06/30/05 05:36 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
In the past weeks my ladyfriend in Madrid and I had been talking about shorts-wearing around town, restaurants, etcetera. I was very concerned after my experience in Rome/Italy about 14 years ago, during September, we both had to buy pants in order to enter the cathedrals and Vatican City because we too had nothing but shorts packed.

Anyway, my ladyfriend in Madrid says that now shorts are rather widely accepted in "Holy Places" - except probably for Sunday mass. Small children can get away with it, of course, but not adults or teens. You may well get some stares from locals if you're, say, visiting a small church in a small village though. Otherwise, in Toledo, Segovia, Seville, and all the big cities are very very accustomed to having tourists in shorts. They'd lose a lot of entrance fees if they didn't.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36575 - 06/30/05 05:53 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
Calibasco- I will continue to wear my loud Hawain shirts wherever I go either in the US or abroad. I think they're pretty funny. In fact my friend Enrico was here from Spain in MAy and picked up a few for himself and his buds. It's a great shirt to wear to offset the oh so trendy crowd both here and in Europe.

#36576 - 07/01/05 05:42 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
ColinK: Note my post: I'm only against floral print bermudas anywhere but the beach. BRING ON THOSE FUNKY SHIRTS ANYWHERE, THOUGH!!! smile cool

#36577 - 07/01/05 07:34 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
msk Offline

Note my post: "Tasteful but temperatue sensitive" individuals.

We will be visiting these sites for their historic, artistic, cultural and architectural interests and will not be attending during any religious services.

Thanks for the input.

#36578 - 07/01/05 11:18 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I was in Italy last summer during scorching weather and quickly learned that I always had to carry something to put over my bare shoulders if I wanted to go into a church. I never had that problem in Spain, where I also wear only sleeveless tops and dresses in summer. As far as legs being covered up, I wear capris, skirts, or sundresses below the knee when I'm sightseeing. They're cool, comfy, and modest. The guys with me tend to wear long trousers then as well, and save the shorts for the beach, pool, tennis, hiking, and things like that. My son, who is in his late teens, is adamant about fitting in and looking Spanish (which he is, but we live mostly in the US), and wears long trousers or jeans and closed shoes much more in Spain than in the US. He stays cool on top by wearing loose fitting cotton collared shirts, which he doesn't tuck in. I have never heard of anyone being barred from entering a church in Spain because they were wearing shorts, but I guess it could happen. I also don't remember anyone ever standing at the church door to keep inappropriately dressed tourists out, the way they do in Italy.

#36579 - 07/13/05 11:31 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
Raquel_dup1 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I believe that you need to be respectful of the culture of the country where you are. Its common courtesy! If you are visiting Cathedrals or such, make sure a mass is not taking place and if one is please be dont be taking flash photos or doing other distracting things!
I do think that when you wear loud hawaiian shirts, and shorts that it just labels you as an American and a tourist. Draws unnecessary attention in my opinion. If you choose to dress in an American manner beware of pick-pockets and such.
When I studied in Spain, I grew to dress more like the Spanish, I ditched the jeans/sweatshirts of the United States and adopted a more European wardrobe. Not only did I upgrade my fashion, I brought home some very unique clothing!

#36580 - 07/25/05 02:58 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
msk Offline

Well we are back from our fabulous trip and wanted to post a definitive response to my original question.

Now mind you, I am referring to Catedrals and Churches that we visited for historical, architectual & artistic tourism purposes and not to attend religious services. And I might add that maybe the policies differ when the temperatures outside (and sometimes inside) reached less than our 108 degrees F.

Not only were we graciously received in shorts, sandals and uncovered shoulders (tank tops), there were many times where we were actually overdressed compared to some of the other visitors....... most of them Spaniards. Bare midriffs, low waisted/short hemmed skirts and shorts and spaghetti straps where the norm. And I can probably even guess I was the only one wearings a bra!

I dress sporty but not loud and felt completely comfortable and appropriate to the weather.

Thanks.

#36581 - 07/25/05 06:06 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

msk, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for your firsthand follow-up with your experiences. They're MUCH appreciated and will no doubt be useful for future travelers to Spain's churches and cathedrals. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36582 - 07/26/05 10:52 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
okay folks, my background is getting the best of me here - and this is barely reference Spain so apologies in advance MM -

Because I believe in honesty, integrity and truth rolleyes rolleyes when it comes to definitions - the true Hawaiian print shirts are faded - an almost inside-out look .... Those chintzy garrish screamingly bright prints are not what is considered Hawaiian. And da local folks -dey never wear faux Hawaiian print bermudas - no mor dan they do wear de kine a dose black knee socks with d' sandals ....

If you can speak pidgeon - you know what the heck your talking about .... laugh :p

Sorry for the transgression here -

#36583 - 07/26/05 11:48 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
saritisima24_dup1 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
From what I remember, not many Spaniards wear shorts in the first place, no matter what time of year. I spent a year in Madrid - this is just what I remember. I brought I couple of pairs of shorts and I don't think I ever used them. Mostly I just wore skirts if I wore anything short-like.

#36584 - 07/27/05 02:09 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I don't agree. Many spaniards wear shorts, specially when being tourists. We tend to be a little more dressy, but not so much!!

#36585 - 07/28/05 09:16 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?

I just know what I saw when I lived there wink

#36586 - 07/28/05 10:24 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

saritisima24, during what year(s) did you live in Madrid? If it's been awhile I think the shorts-wearing custom has changed somewhat. I saw quite a few people wearing shorts but rarely did I see anyone over, say, 50 years old wearing shorts. I think it's a generational thing. People who barely remember the Franco years or those who were born after Franco's death are much more likely to wear shorts than older folks.

As for Shorts in cathedrals, you'll likely be better accepted in the big cities than in the village churches unless those churches are on the tourist path.

Saludos, MadridMan

#36587 - 07/28/05 11:52 AM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MM sez:

Quote:
I saw quite a few people wearing shorts but rarely did I see anyone over, say, 50 years old wearing shorts.
I'd like to think that has little to do with mores, rules or regs - but more with common sense - there aren't that many 50+ who have the figure to be in shorts! wink

Anyone remember way back when there wasd a somewhat similar discussion - about Speedos as I recall - Wolf and AF - where are you guys now?

#36588 - 07/28/05 10:09 PM Re: Shorts in Cathedrals & Churches OK?

I lived in Madrid from 99 to 2000 and went back to visit in 2003. So it wasn't that long ago. I'm just saying I never noticed that many shorts, and for sure my host family never wore any, nor did anyone I ever hung out with (and my host sister is only one day older than me in age, same year and everything...We're 24). No biggie! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments