Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36562 - 06/10/05 12:04 AM appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
massilia Offline

Hard for me to believe, but when I visited Spain in '70, Franco still had years to go and all was mondo conservative. My American friends and I couldn't understand why we, with miniskirts up to mid-thigh, got so much unwanted male attention!

Now it's my daughter's turn, and all is vastly changed, I realize. She's an athletic, sporty type who's mainly packing work clothes for a two-week volunteer gig in the Picos de Europa. Still, there are those off-hours to think of, as well as the traveling before and after.

Here are my questions: 1) What kind of bathing suit would be acceptable at the pool at the campground where she'll be staying? She's not going to go beyond a fairly traditional bikini, but I don't think she's really up for wearing her swim team one-piece! 2) Are tank tops accceptable? Ubiquitous? Is there one standard in Madrid and another in the rural north? 3) What about shorts, in both areas of the country? 4)Any other thoughts or tips about dressing comfortably but not aggressively?

I'm proud of my kiddo, who not only wants not to be hit on constantly but also genuinely wants to blend in. Any help you can give will be great.

Thanks!

#36563 - 06/10/05 03:58 AM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Massilia, I guess a lot has changed from Franco's era. Maybe others have a different opinion, but when I went to the US I thought girls there dressed more conservatively than girls here. Actually, in beaches all over Spain lots of teenage girls just go topless.

#36564 - 06/10/05 09:19 AM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
MadridGirl273 Offline

I have only been in Madrid a week, but from what I have observed in the city (especially in the Metro) is that pants and skirts (knee length or longer are the way to go). There are some mini skirts here and there, however, but I think as a foreigner it may be best to avoid them so as also to avoid unwanted attention. (Which, as a young, female may happen regardless)

I was also concerned about wearing tank tops here, but a lot of the young women wear them - if not most. It is very hot, so light weight tank tops and shirts are imperative. Also, the ¨hippie¨skirt and snazzy flip flops are very popular here.

As far as bathing suits, my roommate (a native of Madrid) wears the typical type of bikini you´d see in the U.S. No one piece, but no thong either.

I hope this helps some. I was also wondering about this before I came - but I actually was wrong in how conservative I believed the dress would be here.

Un saludo!
Lindsey

#36565 - 06/10/05 08:29 PM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
meencantaespana Offline

Hey, I am a 16 year old American girl and I have been to Spain twice. I really wouldn't worry too much. Anywhere you go even if she is wearing a huge sweatshirt and sweatpants, she'll get unwanted attention. She shouldnt le that bug her and where normal clothes. One hint is don't look scrubby cuz many Europeans tend to look nice all the time. I wore what I normally wear. Tanktops, cute sandals, skirts..

#36566 - 06/11/05 02:58 AM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
I wouldn't worry about the swimming suit. Anything seems to go and I have yet to see a teenaged girl in a one-piece suit. As for shorts, the girls genernally don't wear them in the city. Skirts and capris are the way to go. We are in Sevilla and I can spot American girls a mile away in their shorts. However, in the mountains shorts might be perfectly acceptable. Spaghetti straps are definitely in, as are flip flops, but I would avoid the basic rubber ones in the city. As the previous poster said, don't dress scruffy, but casual and nice always works.

What is your daughter doing? Where will she be? It sounds interesting.

#36567 - 06/11/05 11:07 AM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
meencantaespana Offline

Hello, yes I'll tell u what I wore and I was fine. OK in the city I wore pants...stylish jeans are very "in" with a cute tanktop and either heels, nice flip flops or even tennis shoes but not like her scruffy old nikes...a lot of tennis shoes worn there and more in style and funky and nice...in the south when i went i did wear shorts a couple of times because thats what many spaniards wore...it depends on the part..just basically capris and jeans are ur best bet.

#36568 - 06/12/05 12:49 AM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
massilia Offline

Thanks so much to everyone for the help! If my daughter has more questions, I'll hand over to her and let her join in.

As to what she's up to, yep, it certainly sounds like a great program. It's sponsored by a nonprofit organization called Earthwatch International (earthwatch.org) that has research expeditions all over the world. The deal is, volunteers sign up to help with various projects -- archaeology and biology seem to dominate, but there are others, too -- all over the world. It's mainly for adults, but they usually save a couple of slots for teenagers on most expeditions. There are several expeditions in Spain and a lot in Latin America and the Spanish-speaking Caribbean. The next person in our family who gets to go on one is definitely me!

#36569 - 06/14/05 04:01 AM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
Que chulo!

#36570 - 06/16/05 02:09 PM Re: appropriate clothes for teenaged girl
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
"I can spot American girls a mile away in their shorts."

How true!! TIGHT Capri's (piratas) or TIGHT jeans are the most common. Another way to spot an american girl is Pantylines!! 98% of all woman in Madrid wear tangas (tongs.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments