Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36550 - 06/06/05 06:28 PM Shipping luggage from Madrid to USA
deedah09 Offline

Loc: Detroit, Mi
Hello All! I have heard using the Correos for shipping (I have to ship about 20lbs of clothing) to the USA is cheapest! Does anyone know how much it costs, and whether or not I can fly the parcel (rather than use barco)? Any info on this would be fantastic smile

#36551 - 06/08/05 08:17 AM Re: Shipping luggage from Madrid to USA
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I just received an email from a woman currently living in Madrid, moving back to California soon, and wanted to know how to ship (by boat) things to herself back home. I've done a SEARCH of the message board and haven't found anything other than one suggestion to do so by UPS.

I know a number of people who've shipped (literally, by slow boat) their things to themselves in Spain/Europe. Any idea of the company/companies which do this going from Spain to the USA?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36552 - 06/08/05 08:58 AM Re: Shipping luggage from Madrid to USA
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'm pretty sure Correos does.

I once shipped 36 boxes from Spain to the US using what I believe is called a freight forwarder. I got estimates from moving companies that were so outrageous it was laughable (or cryable, depending on your mood)! Unless you're moving a whole housefull of stuff, don't bother with them! I don't remember what a freight forwarder is called in Spanish, but I found one in Madrid without too much trouble, and convinced the man in charge to ship my boxes. They had never worked with a private individual before - they always dealt with freight for companies. We struck a deal I thought was fair, and a few months later I rented a small truck and collected my boxes, spilling their contents, in a warehouse at the Philadelphia docks, after doing paperwork at the Customs House. In the end I think I was lucky - I don't believe the man at the freight forwarder would accept a job from a private individual again. But... you can always try!

#36553 - 06/08/05 12:09 PM Re: Shipping luggage from Madrid to USA
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I just remembered that many airlines take unaccompanied baggage. With security since 9-11 this may have changed coming into the US, but it might be worth contacting airlines for information. It's more expensive than shipping but much faster, and cheaper than paying excess luggage fees. For 20 lbs it may be worthwhile. You do have to pick it up at the airport you send it to.

#36554 - 06/09/05 03:31 AM Re: Shipping luggage from Madrid to USA
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
Hi All,

Actually 20 lbs, is very little to ship using a forwarder. If you been recommended correos, that's probably one of your best options. correos has a website www.correos.es , but I don't know if it's in English.

From my personal experience, that parcel shouldn't cost you more than $75 if you use economy.

What I can't tell you is how to do so, because my parents send me stuff through correos all of the time and I see what it cost them, but I've never asked them the procedure.

I image you must go to your local post office, and send the parcel to the Spanish address, with a contact person.

Sorry if it's not much help.

#36555 - 06/30/05 04:08 PM Re: Shipping luggage from Madrid to USA
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Hate to dissent here, but I would avoid Correos like the plague. Discounting whether you need things fast or not, my beef has always been with the prices Correos has charged me.

A few years ago I shipped a tube of posters [destined for use in my classroom] from Madrid to California. The cost of the shipping exceeded the value of the posters and container by at least 5X. Language was not a barrier, so it wasn't a question of being taken for a dupe. The costs just were what they were.

In retrospect, I should've waited until I got the Czech Republic, where I shipped a similar "tube" home for about $5 USD.

I would suggest, if the packages are few or light, that you try DHL or maybe a local like Seur or Transerra who can connect you to another company that could do the job to fit your budget.

Of course, as I mentioned at the outset, if time isn't a factor, then by all means, use the slow boat. Your bags will see the world. Some of the world may even end up seeing your bags. And they just might make it home for Christmas!

#36556 - 11/07/05 10:06 AM Re: Shipping luggage from Madrid to USA
Guiri Grande Offline

Loc: San Antonio
I have sent books home many times from Spain. Send them the slow route. If I sent them towards the end of July or the beginning of August, they would arrive between Thanksgiving and X-mas. Never had a problem.

Since I could not buy clothes in Spain to fit (especially shoes -- I wear a size 16), I would have my mother send me clothes via U.S. Mail. I did run into problems with the aduaneros occasionally. They always wanted to charge me duty since there were Levi's in the box. I would just fake that I didn't speak any Spanish, pull my shoes out of the box and ask them in broken Spanish what Spaniard would wear these. At that point, they would let me go and they would be laughing. wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments