Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36534 - 05/23/05 01:47 AM what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
maestroyaron Offline

I'm leaving for Madrid in 4 days and will be travelling throughout Andalucia as well. I'm having difficulties choosing what to bring to wear. I very much would like to blend in without going to extremes.

Is there a particular type of pants and shirts a typical man would wear during the day? Also, can I get away with wearing nicer leather sandals?

#36535 - 05/23/05 02:51 AM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
Hi, Andalusia is pretty accustomed to receiving tourist, so you really shouldn't worry about blending in.

The weather is usually quite hot, maybe a little chilly in the early morning and late afternoon until the summer hits. Short sleeve shirts, polos and shorts are fine, jeans, slacks (chinos) are also.

Casual wear is acceptable everywhere, and if you plan to wine and dine at nite a little bit of formal wear might come in handy, depending of course of what type of restaurant you plan to visit.

The sandals are no problem, but....... if you can wear them without the socks.....much better, hehe...

But if your trip is short, don't give it too much thought, just some comfortable clothes that you will fell free to move in while you enjoy your stay.

Have fun

#36536 - 05/23/05 04:02 PM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
maestroyaron Offline

The reasons why I want to blend in are as follows: First, to show respect for the people of the country and, two, to be treated better by them. I know I won't have a problem wearing what Albert proposed, but I would love to look like a local who is showing his cousin from America (that will be my wife, hehehe) around.

Yaron

#36537 - 05/24/05 03:40 AM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
albert Offline

Hey Yaron,

Nobody is going to think your disrespectful just because you have your own dress code. Please keep in mind that Europe is constantly bombed with publicity stating that the cloth sold here are actual US trends, and in the states, it's vice versa.

I still remember when I bought all my cloth to move to spain and when I got here, I realized nobody recognized my brands!! Because they don't sell them here!!!

So it really doesn't make a difference, just as long as you are well groomed, your cloths are clean, and well mannered or polite, people will respect you here in spain and just about anywhere.

I'm pretty sure that if you want to impress family members, it's not going to be because of your cloth, it's going to be on how you treat others, your manners and your level of etiquette, your behavior, ect ect.

So don't worry too much on what to wear, just use common sense, that'll get you through.

Have fun and enjoy your trip

#36538 - 05/24/05 04:02 PM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
maestroyaron Offline

I guess what you are saying is that as long as I was polite, nobody would care that I was wearing jeans shorts, tank top, and sandals with socks, right?

Thanks for your advice.

#36539 - 05/25/05 02:31 AM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
albert Offline

haha!!! more or less...

#36540 - 05/25/05 07:37 AM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
spanishl Offline

Loc: Madrid
just make sure not to wear white socks and should be fine!

#36541 - 05/25/05 08:12 AM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
Miguelito from DC Offline

Loc: Washington DC
i'm going to madrid for 9 days in june but i'm only taking a carry-on bag. i budgeted for buying clothes every few days. my college age friends who've been to spain before recommend zara. any other stores i should check out?

#36542 - 05/25/05 09:43 AM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Temperatures are nice and warm right now in Andalucia and you may find this archived info helpful, or maybe you won't! :p It made me laugh anyway looking back at it! Have a great trip. maestroyaron!

#36543 - 05/25/05 11:40 PM Re: what shoes and clothes to wear in Southern Spain
emi Offline

Loc: australia
shopping in spain? heheheh

well, ive not been there yet but in 2 weeks, i will. I am looking forward to ZARA, MANGO, PRADA and CAMPERS.... smile woohooo

these are brand names but i got a feeling that there are some other really cool unique smaller 2nd-hands stores which will be appealing too waiting for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments