Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36527 - 05/08/05 07:39 PM How to recharge electronics
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
Was wondering, will a converter kit with various plugs be what is needed to recharge computer, cell phone and digital cameras or do I need to bring anything else. Don't want to blow any of my stuff. Thanks.

#36528 - 05/08/05 08:10 PM Re: How to recharge electronics
JoseR Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Hi Bev,
Your best bet is to take a universal converter that will accept the plug for the country(s) that you are visiting. Please make sure that the converter is big enough for the watts of the item you plan to use. i.e. a laptop needs a large enough converter so that it won't burn up.

One suggestion is to buy a universal adapter that will fit multiple items. the following may help, and am not a paid endorser. smile

http://igosolutionscenter.com/RadioShack_Configurator.aspx

You may need to buy additional "tips" for cell phone, DVD player, mp3, etc.

Note that you will still need a converter to power the universal adapter.

JoseR

#36529 - 05/09/05 07:06 AM Re: How to recharge electronics
spanishl Offline

Loc: Madrid
Also remember the current in Spain is 220 v 50 Hz. Normally a AC Adapter for a laptop would support that. Make sure not to plug a 110 v into a 220 v outlet!

#36530 - 11/02/05 01:51 PM Re: How to recharge electronics
Guiri Grande Offline

Loc: San Antonio
Be very careful with converters. A friend of mine had a clock radio that he had to take with him. confused After about 1 week the hands started spinning faster and faster until smoke started coming out of it. I have never trusted them since my friend's meltdown .

#36531 - 11/03/05 06:33 AM Re: How to recharge electronics
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Bev writes:
Quote:
... will a converter kit with various plugs be what is needed to recharge computer, cell phone and digital cameras or do I need to bring anything else. Don't want to blow any of my stuff.
You may not need a converter kit, just a plug adapter: Read info on your laptop A/C adapter/power supply/charger. Mine says 110-240 volts; so does my Norelco/Philips electric shaver and my Audiovox mobile phone charger.

The latter might be your 'Waterloo,' in a manner of speaking: many U.S. Cellphones won't work in Spain. Those that do will probably require a 'sim' card replacement.
BTW
Spain and Portugal use 220-Volt, 50-cycle current. The plug has 2-round pins.

#36532 - 11/03/05 06:48 AM Re: How to recharge electronics
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Eddie wrote:
Quote:
You may not need a converter kit, just a plug adapter: Read info on your laptop A/C adapter/power supply/charger. Mine says 110-240 volts; so does my Norelco/Philips electric shaver and my Audiovox mobile phone charger.
I always take my electric shaver (bought in the USA) to Spain and only add-on the adapter prong-plug to the end and it works great.

As for laptops, while I've never tested it myself, I understand from many many people that laptops are rather universally useable, all having a built-in power converter into the cable - the rectangular box towards the end of the power cable. And there too you should be able to use the simple plug adapter stuck onto your existing plug.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36533 - 11/03/05 10:25 AM Re: How to recharge electronics
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
I always take my electric shaver (bought in the USA) to Spain and only add-on the adapter prong-plug to the end and it works great.

As for laptops, while I've never tested it myself, I understand from many many people that laptops are rather universally useable, all having a built-in power converter into the cable - the rectangular box towards the end of the power cable. And there too you should be able to use the simple plug adapter stuck onto your existing plug.
MadridMan is correct.

My electric shaver, laptop and digital camera's battery recharger are universally and only need a adapter to plug it in the outlet.

To be sure that your devices are universal, can use used in US and Europe, check the power supply of the device. You should see somewhere printed 120/220 volts. This indicates you can use it in US and Europe.

Also you should be able to find this information in the owners manual, usually in the back were they list out the spec of the electric device.

On my electric shaver is say 120volts/220volts where I connect the power cord.

I only bring one adapter on my trips and extension cord that is eight feet long. Many outlets in hotels/B&B are usually not located in a conveniently to plug an laptop into. Also if it late I will usually backup my photos to my laptop while I am in bed. So I plug the extension cord in the wall and plug the laptop and camera's battery recharger into that.

Bill

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments