Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36513 - 04/19/05 08:15 PM Madrid: How to Dress in Early May
JAWheels Offline

We will be in Madrid in early May, and I was wondering what to pack. From what I am seeing the temperature can vary quite a bit during this time of year.

For days I was thinking of bringing cropped pants/jeans and maybe some shorts with a light jacket. I'm not so sure about evenings though especially since it may be cooler. What do I need to bring wear out to dinner (I'm thirty-something)? Do people tend to wear bright colors or darker colors such as black? For a nicer restaurant would I need to wear stockings and heels? Would my friend need to bring a jacket and tie?

I would appreciate any advice!!!

#36514 - 04/20/05 07:59 AM Re: Madrid: How to Dress in Early May
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi!

We've got a proverb in Spain that says: "Hasta el 40 de Mayo, no te quites el sayo". That is, the weather here is unpredictable until the beginning of June.

Spanish spring tends to be warm and sunny, perhaps a bit chilly at night and sometimes rainy. Bring a raincoat just in case. A jacket, some sweaters, etc. Shorts and jeans are ok as well.

Don't worry about formal clothes and stuff like that, imagine you are going to a nice restaurant at home and choose things alike unless you like being flashy laugh . I mean... common sense depending on the place you want to go. Cool restaurant = cool clothes; Posh restaurant = Formal clothes...

There are some restaurants and discos which might ask their customers to wear specifc clothes but there are only a few of them.

Have a nice stay!!

#36515 - 04/20/05 08:21 PM Re: Madrid: How to Dress in Early May
JAWheels Offline

Thanks, Amleth!!! I really like the cool restaurants much more than the posh ones so that makes things much easier!!!

#36516 - 04/21/05 09:04 PM Re: Madrid: How to Dress in Early May
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another proverb about May in Madrid,"Cuando en Marzo mayea en Mayo marzea".So you can actually predict the weather in May by looking back at how the weather was like in March.If in March was nice and sunny,make sure you keep that jacket and that umbrella handy in May.

#36517 - 04/22/05 10:54 AM Re: Madrid: How to Dress in Early May
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Quote JAWheels:
"For a nicer restaurant would I need to wear stockings and heels?"

Sweetheart, no one will ever say no to stockings and heels . No matter where you are!!! wink

#36518 - 05/12/05 01:55 PM Re: Madrid: How to Dress in Early May
navblooms Offline

Loc: Ireland
I spent a few days in Madrid in late April. I mostly wore crops and flip flps during the day, and my feet got some very funny looks! I think because all the locals were in long trousers and boots. But it was hot for me being from ireland! At night I found a light cardigan and jeans were fine for the resteraunts we went to, quite laid-back ones. Have fun!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments