Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36501 - 04/10/05 09:08 PM how much cash to bring
pixiechic39 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hi guys, I'm going on my first trip to Spain this summer and am staying for 9 weeks! I can't wait! Anyway, I was wondering how much cash people thought I should bring. I will have my credit cards and debit card, but was not sure the amount to bring in cash. Also, should I get some Euros here before I leave? What are your ideas? Thanks for your help!
-allison

#36502 - 04/11/05 04:11 AM Re: how much cash to bring
Amleth Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi pixiechic39!

If you need the money for personal stuff (souvenirs, transportation, discos, etc) I'd say 150 euros per week in a small town such as Ávila and 250 in a big town such as Madrid.

#36503 - 04/11/05 04:55 AM Re: how much cash to bring
JasMadrid Offline

Hi Pixie. When I travel I never take too much cash. Maybe 300 or 400 Euros just in case there is an emergency or anything. I rather use my credit and debit cards, the exchange rate is usually good and you will only change what you need. I've travelled like that to everywhere in Europe and I've never found as many ATM's as in Spain, so if I was a tourist here I would definetely take almost no cash.

#36504 - 04/11/05 05:27 AM Re: how much cash to bring
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

I second JasMadrid's remarks. Nowadays, there's really no point in bringing tons of money when you can use credit cards and debit cards. Just make sure you have a reasoable limit, and keep a few hundred aside in case of an emergency

#36505 - 04/11/05 11:53 AM Re: how much cash to bring
ellenoregon Offline

Loc: oregon usa
There are cash machines and money exchange desks in the airport, so either get cash out of an ATM when you get there, or bring some dollars and exchange them.

#36506 - 04/11/05 12:12 PM Re: how much cash to bring
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
One of my friends once took a large amount of money for an extended stay. She opened a bank account and stored the money there for security. She only needed the passport and a mailing address to open the account.

#36507 - 04/11/05 01:09 PM Re: how much cash to bring
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
It's now more complicated for a non-EU citizen to open a bank account in Spain.

If you do not have a residency card, you have to go to the local police station (comisaria) and get a letter of non-residency. It takes at least ten days for the letter to be issued (at least in Madrid). You go back to pick it up at the police station and then you take this letter to the bank, along with your passport.

It's probably not worth the hassle for a short stay. Especially given that you will probably pay higher ATM fees with a local bank's cards that you would with your US card. I've never been charged to take money out with my US ATM card, but I have been charged when I use my Caja Madrid card at other ATMs here in Madrid.

#36508 - 04/11/05 01:51 PM Re: how much cash to bring
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
Thank you mariposa for more info about using a bank account.

I have a question. One of my friends travels every summer to Holland. She says "Bring cash or debit/credit card. Do not bring travelers checks." Any explanation for this?

#36509 - 04/11/05 04:09 PM Re: how much cash to bring
Amleth Offline

Hi:)!

Yes, there's an explanation. ATMs have made traveller checks unecessary, thus they've become "old-fashioned" and they're rarely used nowadays. Except in airports, etc, etc.

People use debit/credit cards since there's an ATM in every corner. It's easier, faster and more comfortable... At least, that's what we think here in the E.U.

#36510 - 04/12/05 02:06 PM Re: how much cash to bring
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
are you studying somewhere, or travelling? that makes a big difference, when I studied abroad, weekly stuff was pretty cheap, since i had food with my host family, I easily got by on 50 euros a week. That said, I was in granada, so i could walk everywhere, and that was just incidental spending money, ie nightlife, the movies, eating something out every now and then, random things i needed. it by no means includes that times that i decided to go clothes/souvenir shopping, or travel for a weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments