Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36490 - 03/26/05 01:36 AM random q's
pixiechic39 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hi! I'm living in Spain for 10 weeks this summer and I've never been before. I was just wondering, I have a Citibank card, and I was reading about the extra fees it charges you and they seem to be higher than other credit cards. Is there another credit card that isn't so bad that anyone recommends? Also, another one of my concerns is what to pack. Now my wardrobe consists of hoodies and jeans, so it seems that I'll have to do a bit of shopping before I leave since I hear people dress up much more there. What do women wear on a typical day? I'll just be attending classes everyday, what should I wear to those? And when people say, "Dress up for the nightclubs" how dressy is this? And if I need to buy clothes over there, what are the prices like compared to US clothes. Thanks so much for your help guys, I really appreciate it and am excited for my trip!!!

#36491 - 03/26/05 03:58 PM Re: random q's
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Welcome!

Call your credit card company and ask them about their fees abroad, and be sure to tell them that if they receive charges from Spain, it is because you will be there in 10 weeks. That alerts them of the charges so they won't think your card has been stolen and deny you access to the card. Also as a precaution as for their Spain 800 telephone number to their card in case it is lost or stolen,or you need more credit.

Also, you may want to visit your bank to see if they have a Bank card that allows you to use your checking funds, if you neet it.

There are several threads about this already, so you may want to do a search about "credit cards in Spain" for the latest travel informaiton.

About dress, I hate to generalize, but I think most would agree that the women of Spain dress in a manner that is both femenine and stylish. As an older gal, I can't help you there. But to see about clothes worn in spain now by young women you may want to do a search for the Spanish clothing store Zara. Go to Zara online at

http://www.zara.es/v05/index.php?idioma=en

to see the Spring and Summer 2005 clothes. This will be a fair guide as to what is "in" in Spain now.

If you are going to shop in Spain you won't be disappointed, but be sure to remember that the dollar is worth a lot less in Spain, I believe it is around $1.30 to the euro, maybe more.

Hope you have a nice trip.
Booklady

#36492 - 03/27/05 01:35 AM Re: random q's
pixiechic39 Offline

Thank you Booklady- that helps soo much!!!

#36493 - 05/04/05 05:48 PM Re: random q's
MadridGirl273 Offline

PixieChic,

I will also be staying in Madrid for 8 weeks this summer. My email is Linds147@aol.com if you'd like to share info/ideas! I've heard a no-shorts rule for a lot of European countries because it makes you stick out as an American. I'm not sure if this is true, but I was in Spain three years ago and we didn't see many shorts. I think knee length skirts and capris are probably a good way to go? When we went out, I wore black pants most of the time.

Lindsey

#36494 - 05/05/05 12:16 AM Re: random q's
pixiechic39 Offline

oh great! Thanks for the advice Lindsey! And don't worry about going! I've only studied for tres anos, (yup, that's about the extent of my spanish right there haha) and I'll be living there for nine weeks this summer. okay, now I'm getting freaked out haha. But you said you've been there before? Do the women wear tank tops in the summer? I'm worried about packing. But thanks for the advice! -allison

#36495 - 05/09/05 03:17 PM Re: random q's
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
In general you may dress as you wish, no body is going to look at you funny just because you wear a tank top or your hairs dyed purple.

But I'm sure you understand, just like in any country, there are certain rules when you go out, mainly showing respect or good manners to others in public places.

Let me explain, if you want to go for a stroll in a park, you can wear whatever you please, tank tops, shorts, very casual cloths is obviously customary.

But if you plan to dine out, lets say in a nice restaurant, bermuda shorts and flip flops are out of the question, that’s when they look at you funny and say oh-oh tourist...

Every occasion has its dress code, and mainly its just common sense. What you don’t need is the sevillanas dress, they quit wearing that long ago, hehe.

#36496 - 05/10/05 05:40 AM Re: random q's
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Albert writes:
Quote:
But if you plan to dine out, lets say in a nice restaurant, bermuda shorts and flip flops are out of the question, that’s when they look at you funny and say oh-oh tourist...
For the midday meal, the big meal of the day for most People of Spain, one doesn't have to change clothes or dress-up. Shorts are perfectly acceptable. Halter tops might be frowned upon ...
Quote:
Every occasion has its dress code, and mainly its just common sense. What you don’t need is the sevillanas dress, they quit wearing that long ago, hehe.
Not! Go to Sevilla or to the Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio this weekend (Pentecost) for the feria del Campo y Romeria a la Virgen del Rocio. You will be 'out of place' if you are not wearing a Sevillana o Rociera dress.

#36497 - 05/10/05 11:27 AM Re: random q's
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
Dude, I said a nice restaurante, not your everyday corner bar, where you order the menu of the day, and I wasn't thinking in Rodilla either...

And the dress....it was just a joke.....obviously many people wear it during these festive holidays, but unless your a tablao dancer...I haven't seen any of my spanish peers coming to the office wearing a sevillanas dress.....but like I said It was just a joke...take it as you wish.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments