Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36480 - 03/22/05 01:08 PM Currency
summerstorm Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Any advice I can get re: money would be appreciated. What is best: using ATM, converting (where for best rates), using travelers cheques and where to cash them.
I know I must sound hopeless but really I
just need a little direction. From there
I can figure it out.

#36481 - 03/22/05 01:24 PM Re: Currency
ricardo4u Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Summerstorm ; The best by far that I have found is a bank DEBIT card at most ATM's. The rate is international and the service charge is minimal.. DON'T use the money changers at the airport.. they are the most expensive.. Have a good trip ! Ricardo
'

#36482 - 03/22/05 02:08 PM Re: Currency
summerstorm Offline

Ricardo,

Thank you so much and for the separate email.
I honestly had forgotten about my ATM card, so it is a good reminder and good info.

#36483 - 03/22/05 04:33 PM Re: Currency
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
Check with your bank before you go - some charge upwards of $5 per foreign ATM transactions. Depending on your bank's charge, you may want to limit the number of times you use an ATM by making larger withdrawals. Even if you have to pay a fee, you will probably still come out ahead since you'll be getting the wholesale conversion rate.

Also, if it isn't already, make sure your PIN is only 4 digits long as this is the European standard. (And they usually only have numbers on the ATM keypads, so if you're using an alphabetical PIN make sure to remember its numerical equivalent.)

#36484 - 03/22/05 05:00 PM Re: Currency
summerstorm Offline

SFY, thanks I called my bank right away and got the skinny.

#36485 - 03/22/05 06:14 PM Re: Currency
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
And what did they say??

(psst! I moved your topic here from its original posting in the "Transportation" forum)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36486 - 03/22/05 10:14 PM Re: Currency
meencantaespana Offline

A regular debit card is your best bet...I found even at major department stores travelers cheques weren't accepted and so I exchanged them and I had $150 in them and it was only 118 euros...so yeah. Also dont get frustrated if some atms dont work...u will find one...the charge on all of mine were $1 and here they can be $5!!

#36487 - 03/24/05 06:55 AM Re: Currency
summerstorm Offline

Called my bank and was told that there is only a $1 charge if I use machines with Star, Cirrus or Plus. Do you know if these signs are on ATM in the city?

#36488 - 03/24/05 09:21 AM Re: Currency
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Star, Cirrus and Plus machines are all over. I take out money almost every day, and I've never had a machine in Madrid reject my US cards and I've never been charged by a Spanish bank to withdraw money (and I'm lucky enough that my US bank doesn't charge me anything to withdraw money here, either).

My ATM card is also a visa check card, so I can use it in any store, as well.

#36489 - 03/24/05 09:44 AM Re: Currency
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
I have a STAR/CIRRUS ATM card and I never got charged touse it in Spain, Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil or Panamá. (but I do get charged if I use it in NY where I got the thing, go figure)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments