Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36464 - 03/10/05 09:07 AM Detroit, JFK to Madrid with laptop?
isleroyal Offline

Loc: Michigan
laugh Yipee 9 days till we leave! I just bought a laptop (1st one), and want to take it with us to Spain. My question is, is it a huge hassel getting through security with a laptop? My girlfriend said it's not worth the hassel. We are leaving from Detroit, with layover at JFK. Opinions? Also, what do I need to take with me to "hook up" in Spain, most everywhere we are staying says internet available. confused I am just plain dumb when it comes to this. My daughter wants to know if you can use it on the plane. I figure no due to no power source and the battery would not last very long.
thank you for all of your wonderful help and advice!

#36465 - 03/10/05 10:24 AM Re: Detroit, JFK to Madrid with laptop?
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I just took my laptop with me. Most of your hassle comes in the US, not in Spain. When you go through security in Detroit, you'll have to take the laptop out of the case for scanning. One extra step, that's it.

I'm guessing you have a laptop that gets Wifi, so the only extra thing you should take is an ethernet cable, as some hotels don't have wifi.

It's not too much of a hassle to have the laptop, especially if the internet is free where you are staying. I used mine for work, but it was also helpful to look up places to go and get more information while I was there.

When you come back through security in Spain, they don't make you take the laptop out at all, it just scans on through. However, when you go through customs in the US, you will have to take it out again to have them scan it.

#36466 - 03/10/05 10:36 AM Re: Detroit, JFK to Madrid with laptop?
isleroyal Offline

Thank you! My laptop is coming today! YIPEE! I am sure it does not come with an ethernet cable. I am assuming I should get one at somewhere like Best Buy etc...? Also at US airports does your laptop stay within your sight? Should I be concerned?
Thank you
"the paranoid one" wink

#36467 - 03/10/05 02:22 PM Re: Detroit, JFK to Madrid with laptop?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I, too, am interested in this information!

#36468 - 03/13/05 02:44 PM Re: Detroit, JFK to Madrid with laptop?
Lorissa Offline

I have taken my laptop on that exact flight with no problems. The laptop does stay within your sight, just like your other bags. I found it quite easy to locate an outlet near my gate. I plugged in, charged up, then shut it down to board and until the captain said it was okay. The battery issue was the only problem, after about an hour and a half I was out of juice. Luckily I had an extra battery that I popped in and was able to continue working for an additional hour.

In Spain I found that our voltage converter worked well if we put it on the higher setting. Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2393 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments