Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36452 - 02/25/05 08:55 PM reloadable ATM cards for teens
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I am taking a group do teens to Spain in a few weeks and at a recent meeting with the parents they wanted to know how the students should carry money on their trip. Although I know that these reloadable ATM card exist, I do not know how to advise these parents. Does anyone know about these types of ATM cards? where to purchase them, and if they also have pin numbers, etc. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks so much!
smile

#36453 - 02/25/05 10:18 PM Re: reloadable ATM cards for teens
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi Esperanza!

Prepaid debit cards are great for students and also as a backup for your own ATM card if you're worried about something happening to it and then getting stranded. You can set the amount you want on it, and you can add funds as well. They work with a PIN just like regular ATM cards. AAA sells the Visa TravelMoney Card, and American Express sells the TravelFunds card. A lot of people have gotten the Visa TravelMoney cards at AAA for my trips, and they work very well. The one thing you MUST do, however, is activate the card in the United States before the trip. Otherwise it won't work.

AAA Visa TravelMoney:
http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/financial/vtm.asp

American Express Travel Funds : http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,18622,00.asp

If anyone in your group takes a regular ATM card and/or a credit card, remind them to call the bank or credit card company to let them know that they'll be using the card in Spain, and the dates. For security reasons the card may be frozen when the bank/credit card company notices a change in country. I've seen it happen!

Here's a good article you can share with the parents from Rick Steves: http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publica...ards_cash.shtml

#36454 - 02/26/05 08:40 AM Re: reloadable ATM cards for teens
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
hi Diana

Thanks so much for the great information! I will definitely pass it along. You saved the day! Especially since we will be in Spain during Semana Santa, I know the banks will have limited hours, the ATM card is the only way to go.

BTW: I do hope we can get together while we are in Madrid! Let's keep in touch. smile

Esperanza

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments