Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36440 - 02/18/05 12:54 PM Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
worriedaboutspain Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hola,

I'm going to Spain this summer for five weeks from June 27th until August 2 and I'm traveling to over six different cities and I'm also staying with a host family. I've spoken Spainish for 12 years so the language doesn't worry me, what does is that i'm 16 and this will be the first time I"ve traveled without famiy abroad for this long. I've read travel books, and I'm still worried. What clothes should I bring, I want to give my host family a gift, and I love making books, would that be okay? Where should I look for information? ect...any suggestions will be welcome.
I appoligize if this is a re-peat post.

#36441 - 02/18/05 01:49 PM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
Supertubbie Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well that time of the year is very hot so bring your summer closes. Iff you wanna give the host familie a gift, I would give something that is very tipicall for your countruy our city you live in.

#36442 - 02/18/05 06:57 PM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
super lau Offline

Hey worried, don't be worried!

I left home at 18 to go to Spain for a summer, and its a bit easier then you think. You'll forget about your family before they forget about you!

I think making a book for your host family is nice. I do not know if you mean a scrapbook, but that would be an idea... you could put pictures of your city, your house, your friends, your high school, prom/homecoming, your family, etc etc etc.

If you think your parents would not mind, then I would think seriously about buying some clothes over there. (So underpack...you'll need the room in your suitcase when you come home.) It is a real bargin to buy clothes in Spain, considering they are cheap enough to begin with, and then that you will be about a year ahead of fashion in the US, so you can wear the clothes for a long time without going out of fashion.

What I would bring consists of: a swimsuit (bikinis are best), a rain jacket, jeans, a good "clubbing" outfit (since at 16 I think you are legally able to go to some clubs), one dressy outfit for church, a pair of black pants (these can work as your clubbing outfit, your church outfit, and a daily wear outfit), and a book in English for when you get homesick. A good pair of comfortable heels is a must...again think of something you can wear to a club, church, or out of the town.

Also, a book I would recommend is "Girl with a Pearl Earring." It is nice to read while you are adjusting to life in Spain, since the girl in the book is also adjusting to a new life.

I wish you luck!

#36443 - 02/18/05 09:48 PM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
PrincesitaDeVA Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I agree with Lau, don't be worried! I know its hard not to be but im sure you'll have lots of fun! I went to Spain for 3 weeks last summer and that I was my first time traveling over seas, flying, and alone. I had a blast! I didn't miss home until the end of my stay. There will be plenty to see and do while in Spain. Its a new culture so you could be amused with your surroundings. I know I was. lol And I couldn't agree more about the clothes, they are great prices so buying some new ones are a must!

#36444 - 02/18/05 10:40 PM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I was also 18 when i studied in spain for the summer, i also lived with a host family. i wanervous (if you do a search you will probably still find many of my panic ridden postings!). to make a long story short i had such an amazing time i went back half a year later to spend an entire semester. you will love it!
relax smile
kelly

#36445 - 02/19/05 02:15 PM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain

Gracias! I feel a little better. I have 127 more days left here in the states. Yeah, I was thinking about a scrap book. Maybe I"ll make one too for when I'm home sick. I like the clothes idea. While I was looking through a travel guide I noticed that everything is so inexpensive, I was like...wow!!! So i might just have to go shopping while I'm over there. I was thinking about taking some advice that i saw on here about gifts, and going shopping in my city, mmm...that'll be fun. Knowing my mother and myself we'll overpack...so i'll try to keep things at a min. I's so excited though. I've wanted to go to Spain forever. When I was 4 I started studing Spainish in school, and have been speaking it ever since. When I was in grade school they would teach us the history of Spain and it's people...so it's amazing that I can finally go and be able to say that I was there.
Sorry for the long reply...but I'm to excited to not talk a lot. When I found out I was going to Spain I was out shopping with my mom, and all I could say was "hola, me llamo Ashley y voy a Espana"

Thanks again!

#36446 - 02/21/05 12:26 AM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
guera1 Offline

Loc: tucson, az
My son is currently spending a semester in Spain and staying with a host family (who turned out to be fabulous!) Before he left he experienced the same kind of excitement & anxiety you speak of. He is absolutely LOVING it, and as a matter of fact is trying to figure out a way to either stay longer or go back for another semester! (Don't let your Mom see this, she'll change her mind about letting you go)
Have the time of your life!

#36447 - 02/22/05 12:32 AM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Worried..........You'll be fine over here BUT don't get the illusion that everything is cheap here. You will be buying everything on the Euro which is about $1.30 to 1 Euro. I live in Madrid and find most things comparable to US prices but a lot of "tourist" type things are very expensive especially here in Madrid.

#36448 - 02/22/05 09:11 AM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain

ah...okay, that's what i did think was that everything was cheaper. I knew that the Euro equals 1.30 US, but I thought all around though, the prices where cheaper, I guess because madrid is a tourist spot then the prices would be more expensive then those in smaller towns, am I right?

Feeling a little bit better, counting down the days, and collecting donations for spending money.

Worried

#36449 - 02/22/05 07:25 PM Re: Clothes, gift for host-family, concerns about going to Spain
super lau Offline

hey worried,

I meant that just the clothes shops for females are cheaper overall, excluding tourist shops. The places to look for fashionable and reasonable prices are H&M (the cheapest by far), Mango, and Zara. Avoid EL CORTE INGLES at all costs - it is surely to charge you very high prices. But yes, surely pay attention to the exchange rate at all times, because you are going to be paying more than the price tag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2642 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments