Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36385 - 01/21/05 10:31 PM what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
meencantaespana Offline

I am 16 years old and I am staying with my friend in Spain. She is 18 year old girl...what should I bring her from America?? what would be cool?

#36386 - 01/21/05 11:46 PM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
PrincesitaDeVA Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I was in the same position as you this past summer! lol except my friend was very picky and surprisingly didn't like clothes. You could stop by Abercrombie, Aeropostale or American Eagle and pick up a shirt for her. Or ask her if there is anything in particular she would like?

#36387 - 01/21/05 11:54 PM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
meencantaespana Offline

shes not very a clothes type of person either...lol i am trying to think of something cool, yet american that we only have here..

#36388 - 01/22/05 10:55 AM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Give something that represents your home state or home town. There is bound to be some craft store that make items that are represenative of your city. I would not give a Bush bumper sticker. Have fun and stay safe. wink wink

#36389 - 01/22/05 11:10 AM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
music CD's...teen fashion magazines...cool earrings...tee shirts with some interesting sayings...lipglosses...a nice journal ( there are some very beautiful papers--handmade, etc,)and a cool pen...just some ideas!

#36390 - 01/22/05 11:34 AM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
meencantaespana Offline

Thanks so much...those are some good ideas!

#36391 - 01/26/05 04:22 PM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Would you happen to know what size pants she wears? Levi's jeans are still a very big hit in Spain and they are very expensive there. I think that would be a good gift.

Otherwise, if she is learning English, I would give her an easy American book that would give an idea of the American culture like "on the road" by Jack Kerouac or anything by John Steinbeck. Cheesy American magazines are good too, like People, the National Enquirer, etc....

Also, what was popular in your school? Like those yellow bracelets for Lance Armstrong. Also, any type of American foods (esp. junk foods!) are a novelty as well, like moonpies, kool aid mixes, root beer, cheese-its, and Reeses pieces.

Even if she might find these foods horrible or maybe she'll like them (or at least be polite about it), it will be a good story to tell about the food and then esp. experiencing it with her.

#36392 - 01/26/05 08:28 PM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
meencantaespana Offline

Thank you so much for those ideas! Those were awesome!

#36393 - 01/26/05 10:17 PM Re: what to bring for Spanish friend from the USA?
PrincesitaDeVA Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Oh yes, they (atleast my friend and her friends) love American goodies. Especially bubble gum and sweets like that. You could take her some of your favorite candy. Also like Ing said Levi is popular but any American brand is expensive and popular there but you said your friend doesn't like clothes? Did you decide on anything yet? You could give her some American money....I know thats kind of pointless since they can't use it but my friend was interested to see the differences in our change/dollars (esp the $1 and $2 bills!) compared to the Euro.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1840 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments