Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36245 - 09/05/04 03:50 PM Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
sandyb42 Offline

Loc: USA
Will we need both plug adapters and electrical current converters to use our US made grooming appliances in Spain? Thanks for any information.
SandyB

#36246 - 09/05/04 05:24 PM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
The short answer...YES. You'd be better with dual voltage items...that you can use in the US or in Europe.

Sheryl

#36247 - 09/05/04 05:41 PM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
sandyb42 Offline

Loc: USA
Sheryl,

Thanks for the info. If we have dual voltage appliances I gather that means we would only need to take along the plug adapters. Yes?

SandyB

#36248 - 09/05/04 07:05 PM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
That is correct. Have a fun trip!

#36249 - 09/05/04 07:37 PM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Again...the short answer is yes...but there is a however ...

The plug (el enchufe) you need may be purchased in Spain, but the difficulty is that, as far as I know, they do not have plugs that fit the newer American ones...the ones with one side fatter than the other.

What to do? Well, what I do is I have an adapter for the older style plugs...the ones that were the same size on both sides. I'd take one of each to play it safe. It is possible that the European plugs have made the adjustment (although, I doubt it). Old fashion hardware stores, not Home Depot, might still carry the older version of this plug.

Sheryl

#36250 - 09/22/04 02:57 AM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
And don't forget that even with the different voltage, it's still not a good idea to place the hair dryer in your bathtub or bidet while plugged in and in the "on" position. eek

#36251 - 09/22/04 08:33 AM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
If the 'small appliance' is a hair dryer - buy one there - last time I bought one it was about $12 US - very small & light, very powerful - and, best of all, you won't short out all the fuses in the hostel! laugh

#36252 - 09/22/04 09:21 AM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Also, NEVER use a hairdryer while sleeping.

Sounds weird, but my conair hairdryer had this warning.

#36253 - 09/23/04 02:41 AM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Mencey: Classic...there is, no doubt, a blog out there of "strange warnings" on products...brought about, I'm sure, by frivolous lawsuits in the U.S.

By the way, I'm writing this as I sit poolside in Tahiti...all expenses paid, thanks to a slippery floor at the local Kwik-E-Mart. Cha-ching! $$$

Gotta run, me and the woman who spilled hot McDonald's coffee on her lap are getting together for tennis.

#36254 - 09/27/04 06:19 AM Re: Use of US made grooming appliances, etc. in Spain
Starprotected Offline

Loc: Sarasota Florida
Just a quick maybe dumb question....just using an adapter may not work for using my hairdryer or travel iron in spain? How will I know? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3025 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments