Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36243 - 09/21/04 04:56 PM Re: Dress in Mid-September
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Hey Loc--
From what I've seen, IT people here definitely seem to inhabit the more "relaxed" (or, dare I say, slovenly) end of the fashion spectrum. Which is not to say that they didn't dress up for their interviews, but I'm guessing that the fashion standards probably erode gradually once the job is solid.

I've seen my SO's cousin coming from his managment IT job at Telefonica wearing a ripped T-shirt with bleach spots. Which totally surprised me at first, but he's one of those brilliant wunderkind kind of guys, so he can clearly get away with it. Also, he pulls it off in that Spanish way--kind of slumming, but still looks hip.

A lot of young-ish guys wear sandals in the summer with really light linen or cotton pants or jeans. There's kind of a bohemian/hippie aesthetic that takes over here in the summer. People tend to wear stuff that fits, as opposed to the baggy US thing. With the political t-shirt, you would fit right in (as long as it wasn't right-wing). With the sport team, not so much (unless it was futbol oriented).

A lot of those folks that people see in shorts might be tourists or immigrants. The central part of Madrid is crawling with them/us (a third of the residents in the "centro" are foreign born)! Lots speak Spanish, so it might be hard for a tourist to distinguish. Personally, I'd bring my comfiest pair of shoes and not worry too much about it.

I totally agree with the recommendation of shopping once you get here. Madrid is an unbelievable shopping paradise. Particularly when it comes to shoes--unless you happen to wear a big size... Camper shoes and other European brands are about a third of the price that you would find in DC.

#36244 - 09/21/04 07:11 PM Re: Dress in Mid-September
Loc Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Thanks,

Yes I do plan on doing some shopping. Not a whole lot as it has to be in budget, but definately some. As for shoes, I wear 12.5 US, a little bit big, but should be able to find some I would think.

And I know what you mean by "erode over time" as far as dress on the job. I too get away with a lot at my job and have dressed the part on various occasions lol!

One more thing, I am a guy that happens to wear probably more jewelry than the average man here in the US. It's typical for me to have on a nice watch, gold chain (thick not thin), and I also have earrings (yes plural, 2 holes in each side, plus one up top on the cartelage on the left side). Not really uncommon in the US for a guy to wear jewelry such as that, but not the norm either. There is of course the group of people over here (and probably a lot in Europe too) that have pierced everything with metal everywhere you look. This is not me just in case I was giving that impression. My jewelry is mostly gold and diamond stud earrings, etc. Not the gothic look.

Based on that, will I be stared at a lot?

Oh yeah, I also have long hair, though it doesn't appear long, it's braided. How much staring will this cause? Lol.

I'm not worried about a little staring, it won't bother me. I'm more worried if it will affect the way people interact with me (or perhaps steer clear of me) both in public environments and in the business world.

-Loc

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3014 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments