Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36222 - 08/20/04 03:45 PM atms
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
Hi,
another question, my bank (in NY) is linked to the cirrus network of atms. in south america i never get charged a fee and get the best exchange rate. I have heard that in europe the charges can be steep. I will be in Barcelona for a year and a half. Should I bring a ton of cash and open an account, or should I keep my money here and live off of atms while in BCN???

Also, according to citibank in NY there is no fee at any citibank in the world for Atm use. Anyone with real life experience on this ??? Thanks!

#36223 - 08/20/04 05:40 PM Re: atms
Mar Offline

Loc: chicago/bcn
Maybe you can ask your bank to do a wire transfer and open an account at Citibank in BCN?

I am going to be in barcelona for a while and am opening an account here at Citibank in Chicago, but will use ATMS.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to be doing there for so long?

#36224 - 08/21/04 12:21 PM Re: atms
Chicago Jake Offline

Loc: Chicago, USA
Last month I used my Bank One ATM card all over Spain. Since I didn't see any Bank One branches, I got charged a $1.50 fee for each withdrawal, which is exactly what they would have charged me here in Chicago at a non-Bank One ATM. Hope that helps!......Jake

#36225 - 08/22/04 09:03 PM Re: atms
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Hi- I also used my atm card all over Spain and was charged about 1.50 euros per withdrawal. Some places did not charge, just as some banks and credit unions don't charge here. Unfortunately, I can't remember which bank(s) didn't charge a fee. Regardless, I would't call the fee exhorbitant.

Have a great trip!

#36226 - 08/23/04 12:25 PM Re: atms
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
In the year I've been in Madrid, I have yet to be charged a separate fee by a Spanish bank for ATM withdrawals using my US STAR ATM card.

#36227 - 08/23/04 05:27 PM Re: atms
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
As I remember (way back when I had money in the bank!), Banco Atlantico didn't charge me. I had a bank account with Bank of America. The WORST bank in the world (BofA that is). mad

#36228 - 08/26/04 08:10 AM Re: atms
richie Offline

Loc: barcelona
Thanks for responding! I'll be there for that long because my wife is getting her Masters degree. I'm unsure what I'll be doing, depends on expenses and work over there.

A heads-up on Citibank - I asked in NY and they told me there is no charge at any Citibank in the world. We went to Colombia afterword and I just happened to go into a Citibank there to ask them the same thing. They told me that they charge $5 USD for each withdrawal to Citibank customers who opened their accounts outside of Colombia. This is what gets me nervous about opening up an account here (NY) at Citibank to withdraw using ATMs in other parts of the world. - Richie

#36229 - 08/26/04 09:40 AM Re: atms
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for CitiBank, there used to be VERY few Citibank offices within Spain. Within Madrid city there seems to be about ten only. Anyway, if you stay in central Madrid you'll probably be close to one or some:

Citibank offices in Madrid Province

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1578 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments