Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36185 - 04/20/04 06:17 PM Dressing for a Wedding
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
Three friends and I are attending a wedding in A Coruña in August. What is the appropriate attire to wear to a summer wedding in Galicia?

#36186 - 04/20/04 08:03 PM Re: Dressing for a Wedding
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
My first question would be: at what time of day is the wedding? Next...how old you and your friends are? Will you be traveling from the States specifically to the wedding?

Thirty years ago I was invited to a wedding in Madrid. My friends and I were living with the family directly involved...that's why the invite. The religious service was, for me, a hoot. Not as formal as here in the States. Everyone just ran into the church and the priest preformed the service, one,two, three. There was no "official" procession nor music. Nor did the bridesmaids wear the same outfit. They were, however, impeccably dressed. The reception, which was held in a 4/5 star hotel, was, from an American perspective, semi-formal: suits for the gentlemen and cocktail dresses for the women.

I would suggest that you ask if the function is "black tie (un smoking)", formal or semi-formal. August, moreover, is a brutally hot month. Even if it is formal, I'm sure you can find something weather appropriate.

Sheryl

#36187 - 04/21/04 10:34 PM Re: Dressing for a Wedding
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
I haven't gotten all the details yet but I know that the wedding is taking place on a Friday. So I would think that it would be in the afternoon or evening. (Especially as it would cut down on the heat.)

We're two couples in the 30-40 year old range. Our trip to Spain is because of the wedding of a friend of ours to a Spaniard. We're using it as an excuse to explore Galicia and the west coast of Spain and Portugal.

#36188 - 04/21/04 11:03 PM Re: Dressing for a Wedding
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
Well, the days of the week do not have any bearing on the function. Spanairds, as well as most Europeans, don't care that much if it is a weekday or a week-end.

But, since you know the function is in the afternoon, I would think that would suggest semi-formal. Just be prepared for heat...linen... for men would be great. I'd choose something equally light for yourself...possibly, also, linen.

Just remember, Spanairds are more formal than we.

Enjoy,
Sheryl

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments