Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#3611 - 02/17/02 09:59 AM madrid for "oldies"
madsue Offline

Loc: Canary Islands, Spain
I am taking my parents (late 70's) for a 4 day trip to Madrid in March. I am finding it difficult to decide on what type of accommodation would be suitable. Their perception of a "hostal" is backpacking youngsters! Any suggestions gratefully received! I have looked at the Europa (no rooms available via Internet) Anyone been to the Petit Palace Londres?

#3612 - 02/21/02 11:08 AM Re: madrid for "oldies"
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
If stairs are an issue; then forget about hostals. If your parents can negotiate 0ne-three flights of stairs; then hostals are part of the experience. Remember that you need to verify the "in-suite" bath facility.

If stairs are O.K. remember that the 1st floor is the 1st floor ABOVE the street level.

Search this website for recommendations on hostals and affordable 3-4 star hotels. My experience is that 1-2 star hotels are not as good as a hostal!
The first day take your parents on the double decker tourist bus( without getting off at any of the stops on the first loop) this will give you a great orientation to this city. Make a starting point selection during the first loop and get off on the second loop to begin a very interesting four days.

#3613 - 02/21/02 12:18 PM Re: madrid for "oldies"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
Their perception of a "hostal" is backpacking youngsters!
Keep in mind that "hostal" is a Spanish word meaning basic lodging where each guest has their own room, most often their own bathroom, and are (usually) family owned and operated budget hotels.

Here's where the confusion begins. The Spanish tourism board considers the English word "hostel" to be the same as "hostal" and so that's why I too consider them to be one in the same. They don't consider the word "hostel" to mean a "youth-hostel". We English speakers most often use the word "hostel" to mean dormitory-style lodgings or "youth-hostel". We've abbreviated "youth-hostel" to "hostel", but it's because of this abbreviation that we have the confusion.

I often see English speakers making the Spanish word "hostal" plural by adding an "S" to the end, "hostals", and this is incorrect. The plural of the Spanish word "hostal" is "hostales". And so, when speaking of Spanish "hostales" in English, the plural is "hostels". "Youth-Hostel" in Spanish is "Albergue Juvenil".

SO! (whew!) Your parents concern about the word "hostal" stems from not being familiar with the Spanish language. This is logical and natural.

jllawson is correct in that many hostels (or "hostales" in Spanish) do not have elevators, but many do (maybe 50%??). So if carrying bags up stairs is an issue be sure to ask or look on their website before you make reservations. Also, as I said above, these are basic lodgings with few having many decorations and "extras" like TV and phone. Most are smallish rooms which only contain your bed, a bedside table, usually a small table or desk with chair, an armoir (? -- a tall wooden piece of furniture into which you can hang/store clothing), a mirror, your bathroom, a window or balcony, and that's about it. I would think most older people, having lived a full life, require a little more room/reception comforts that aren't usually available from hostels. People of ALL ages stay in hostels in Spain, not just youngsters.

You might consider a Hostal-Residencia for a more "hotel-like" experience or even Hostal Persal which seemed almost exactly like a real hotel when I visited it in October 2000 with the big lobby and check-in counter, sitting room, dining room, elevators, and decent/basic rooms. I know they're more expensive than most of the typical hostels, but not as expensive as your average low-cost hotel.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan smile

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1825 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments