Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36129 - 03/07/04 08:31 AM When returning home......
QueenBeeNY Offline

I am realizing now I have a problem! I leave at the end of April and came to Spain with 2 full suitcases and now will have no room going home. Should I spend the money to ship items home or spend the money paying the airline to add another suitcase?
Thanks!

#36130 - 03/07/04 11:24 AM Re: When returning home......
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
When I left Spain years ago after a very long stay, I just left behind all my old clothes and anything that I could easily and cheaply replace in the US, saving room for only those wonderful things that can only be found in Spain. The woman I lived with knew of people who could use whatever I chose to discard. Just a thought!

#36131 - 03/07/04 12:40 PM Re: When returning home......
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
When I studied in Spain umpteen years ago and returned home after a year, I shipped all my books (I love books!) and winter clothing (coat/boots, etc) back by boat. I tossed out/gave away all the clothes that were easily replaced.

#36132 - 03/07/04 02:43 PM Re: When returning home......
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
In my last trip to Spain, I followed Rick Steves advice and traveled light, as a result I only had a carry-on suitcase. Like La Maestra, I proceeded to leave behind all of my clothes except what I would wear the next day on flight, thus enabling me to take with me part of my purchases. The rest, primarily paper, books etc. I mailed home. But this was expensive, but well worth the bother of toting all sorts of stuff along. I also had bookstores mail my books for me, that helped.

I recently purchased a light durable canvas-durable fabric blend that unfolds into a rather large bag. I will take with me to use on my return trip for those darling shoes that I MUST buy in Spain! laugh

#36133 - 03/08/04 06:45 AM Re: When returning home......
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
The other thing to remember is that your customs exemption applies to things you carry home with you. The current Customs website indicates that you can take back up to $800 worth of goods acquired in Spain without paying duty. If you mail them back, you are generally limited to $200 ($100 for gifts to others). If you mail your personal items that you brought with you from the U.S., you do not have to pay duty on them, but you must make sure the package is properly labeled and the correct customs form attached.

#36134 - 04/22/04 01:18 AM Re: When returning home......
Cristi Offline

Another point about packing paper: If you have a suitcase full of paper, it sets off the bomb alarms. I had to open my suitcase in Mexico City and go through all the books, brochures, etc. Fortunately, I had packed them in easily visible plastic bags.
Cristi

#36135 - 04/23/04 08:17 AM Re: When returning home......
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
I am the king of overpacking... Iberia permits a maximum of 20 kilos... I had 54... so that's a bit over 100 pounds.. sad huh? Lucky enough for me the lady at the check in counter had to go to the bathroom so she just checked me in (with 2 huge bags and a big box with a sword I bought in Toledo). She told me I was way over the limit.. they charge 10 euros for each 1 additional kilo.. so I would end up paying 340 euros!!!! ouch!!! but she just let is pass that one time.. so PHEW... such a relief... and people DONT OVERPACK!!!!!!!!! Spain is not overpacker friendly!!!

#36136 - 04/24/04 03:23 PM Re: When returning home......
Happy Birthday mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Here is some advice that I found out the hard way. If you decide to take all of you belongings on the plane with you, write down on paper EVERYTHING that is in each of your suitcases, just in case they lose your luggage. And if you are taking home anything that cost you more than $100.00 make sure you keep the receipts of those items for reimbursement. Most airlines require a receipt for reimbursement for anything over $100.00. Good luck.

#36137 - 04/26/04 11:38 PM Re: When returning home......
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Definatly take things on your trip that you can leave behind, you will need the room on the way back.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2966 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments