Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36083 - 01/20/04 11:47 PM February in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville
Lucky Offline

Loc: Michigan
Soon to leave for my first trip to Spain. Will be in Madrid, Barcelona and Seville. Any special things to know about dressing appropriatly (being respectful, blending in with the locals - not being an obvious tourist)? Any major climate differences between Barcelona and Seville in late February?

I am sorry to admit that I speak no Spanish other than please, thank you and 1,2,3,4,5. What phrases of courtesy should I make a point to learn NOW so as not to embarrass myself more than necessary? I have travelled in Europe and Asia for years but have never felt as insecure about my language skills as for this trip.

Recently on NPR there was an interview with a respected "foodie" who was lauding the quality of Spain's XP (Xavier Pedro I think) olive oil. Any suggestions on where to buy and a fair price I can expect to pay?

#36084 - 01/21/04 01:16 AM Re: February in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Tennis shoes can keep you out of a club, although I suspect it has more to do with whether they really want you there or not. You see it all, especially late at night. The women tend to dress better than the men.

It can be much colder in Madrid than Barca or Sevilla. I will be there in early February and will be taking 2 jackets.

If you want to impress the members of this
board, lose the olive oil and stock up on
"La Casera". laugh

#36085 - 01/21/04 01:50 AM Re: February in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know the XP make, but spanish olive oil is of a very good quality. There are very good makes, like Carbonell, La Masía, Coosur, ...

And then there are the gourmet ones, and the oil you can buy at almazaras, pure "virgin oil", butyou have got to get used to the taste.

#36086 - 01/21/04 05:23 AM Re: February in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You should know: 'los Servicios, por favor' or 'donde estan los servicios;' meaning: 'the restrooms please;' or 'where are the restrooms?' rolleyes

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments