Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36080 - 01/13/04 01:34 AM Cell Phones
DanaD1966 Offline

Loc: Medford, Oregon USA
I leave for Madrid in less than two weeks....VERY EXCITED!! This will be my first, of what I hope will be many, visits. laugh

My question has to do with cell phones. My cell phone here in the States will not support telephone calls made from Europe. I would need to either purchase a different cell phone, which includes adding a higher package deal to my current service, or just renting a cell phone in Madrid. I would then purchase a calling card here in the States to go along with the rented telephone from Madrid.

Is it better to rent a cell phone in Madrid for the two months I will be there, or should I just take care of it here in the States?

How difficult is it for a person who speaks elementary level Spanish to handle such a transaction?!

And finally...How much is the monthly cost to rent a cell phone in Madrid? Are there additional costs?

I think that possibly my brain is drained as a result of all the preparations and planning these past several months. I apologize if this is a repetitive question for the experts, and thank you ahead of time for your help!

Dana smile

#36081 - 01/13/04 08:50 AM Re: Cell Phones
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Well, in my opinion it would be better for you if you buy a cell phone here, along with a phone card. You may buy the two in any big store or mobile phone shop.

For example, you may buy a Vodafone pack with an Alcatel OT525, and the phone card (with 18 € of phone calls included) for 69 €. You may "refill" your budget of phone calls by calling Vodafone and charging it to your credit card (every company has english-speaking call-center operators). Alternatively you can "refill" your budget at any ATM machine, or by buying a refill card in any big store.

Frankly, I thing it is quite easy to have and handle a mobile phone in Spain.

Fernando

#36082 - 01/18/04 06:18 PM Re: Cell Phones
Madrid Insider Offline

Loc: Madrid
Even though I know someone who rents and sells Cell phones and phone SIM cards I would still recommend going to an "ALCAMPO" superstore once you are here in Madrid. You will be able to look at deals from all of the major companies all in one place and pick the best pre-paid cell phone pack they are offering at the time. They always have specials and you can usually get a good deal.
Rocco.
www.spainstorage.com
Short & long term storage for your stuff in the center of Spain with optional pick up & delivery services.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments