Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36072 - 12/27/03 10:10 PM bringing back wine
PFitz Offline

Loc: north carolina
i've read on the forum that bringing back wine and liquor is ok, but what if you are under 21???
any suggestion/experiences/info would be appreciated...thanks yall!!

#36073 - 12/27/03 11:17 PM Re: bringing back wine
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
My experience has been if you're caught and you're under 21, the customs folks will not let you keep your alcohol. At one border crossing I saw them open the bottle and spill the contents out.

#36074 - 12/29/03 05:05 AM Re: bringing back wine
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
I believe that U.S. Customs regulations do not allow minors under age 21 to bring in any type of alcholic beverages.

#36075 - 01/02/04 11:11 PM Re: bringing back wine
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
After spending last semester in spain I soooo wanted to bring back some wine. I was worried about this under 21 thing also. I took it onto the plane in Spain fine, then before getting off and going through customs in Chicago, I gave it to my friend who was 22. No problems. I was lucky that I was traveling with someone, so I didn't have to chance it. You could just put it inside your carry on before getting off the plane, and just not mention it, chances are they wont search your bag, if you are willing to take that chance.
Good Luck!
Kelly smile

#36076 - 01/02/04 11:40 PM Re: bringing back wine
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
In this day and age, it is not wise to take that kind of chance. The officials in airports do not have a sense of humor and it could be a very costly mistake. Enjoy the wine while you are in Spain and when you get back, buy the Spanish wines that are sold in the US.

#36077 - 01/03/04 11:46 AM Re: bringing back wine
PFitz Offline

Loc: north carolina
this wine isn't for me--i wanted to bring it back for my parents as a gift, but maybe i'll just stick to olive oil. However, i have had two friends (one from Spain and one from the UK) both under 21 who have brought back wine as gifts....oh well. thank yall for the repiles!
saludos..pfitz

#36078 - 01/03/04 03:45 PM Re: bringing back wine
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Customs officials don't really care if the wine is a gift or not. If it is illegal in this country to buy alcohol when you are under 21, it is illegal to bring it over, gift or not. As someone said, the folks at customs don't have much of a sense of humor these days, and should you get caught trying to smuggle something in, you could be in for a VERY long day.

#36079 - 01/04/04 10:06 PM Re: bringing back wine
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Having been a student there, I knew many people that took liquor or wine back to the US before they turned 21. It can be done, but you are definately taking a big risk.
If you bring back something else, this gives a great reason to go back to Spain after you turn 21.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments