Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#36026 - 09/29/03 12:10 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

i know its very hortera on the other side of the atlantic to wear white sport socks.
but on this side virtually everybody dresses that way.

surprised huh? eek laugh

#36027 - 09/29/03 01:34 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
That's the point I was making. I'm wearing white Hanes socks right now with my white n' blue athletic shoes (New Balance), Levy jeans and a solid blue T-shirt. I'm at work.

That's the way we do things over here. Try wearing a nice pair of Adidas with shorts and black socks over here, and you'll get the same type of stares.

And BTW, a girl who loves me only for my socks is no kind of girl worth my while, ya herrrrrrd! wink

#36028 - 09/30/03 03:41 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Indie Offline

Loc: Netherlands
confused people... this is getting serious! Once again, I did not mean to offend people...

Maybe we should close this topic, B4 this thread will end up in a trans-atlantic-fashion-war...
frown

and all because of a definition of flip-flops...

sorry guyz!

#36029 - 09/30/03 06:06 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think there must be any kind of problem. We are speaking on how people in Spain will look at you if you are dressed in a certain way, no who is more fashionable or uunfashionable.

Rocinante:

In Spain, at least, wearing sport stocks (any colour) is a taboo, unless you're going to do any sport or outdoor activity. Same use\¿d? to be the flip-flops otuside your home, a swimming pool or a beach.

I, being spaniard, and a (rather) conservative dressing spaniard consider them absolutely horrible outside their environment, and would hardly pay attention at first a girl with such (in my opinion) bad taste. Of course, if you get to know a person, later you may discover other virtues that makes fashion likes unimportant.

Of course you may think that we/I are/am an old-fashion closed-minded person. But that's how I feel, and I don't think that anybody should feel offended. Just different opinions on fashion, ¿right? smile

I, for example, most times go to office informally dressed, and only sometimes with a suit and a tie, but I simply cannot imagine myself going to work with shorts or bermudas (I hate bermudas) or with sport socks. I may go with a polo, might wear in extremely hot weather a special t-shirt (very odd in me).

#36030 - 09/30/03 12:44 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Miguelito Offline

Hey Ignacio, flip-flops have been a fashion this summer between young girls, they were with all kind of colours and designs; you didn't look at the feet, don't you? wink . It's a must in elevators laugh
Also white socks with sport shoes are OK here, and lot of people wears them although they're not going to do sport. But not to go to the job, also in many places by night they don't let you in with sport shoes.

#36031 - 09/30/03 01:37 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
I was very shocked at how casual the dress was in Madrid this summer. But, I had never been in the summer before. In spring or fall, everyone dressed so fashionably and classy. This summer, I had all dress clothes and all the girls had on flip flops, shorts and t-shirts.
For the first time ever in Spain I felt over dressed!

#36032 - 09/30/03 02:24 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seems this summer there has been a style revolution. rolleyes eek

By the way, I had holidays in April (15 days) and I'll have the rest in October, that's why I haven't been to the beach resorts to see the fashion. I didn't see any flip-flop in Madrid streets thanks God.

Miguelito, I always look at the girls' feet after I look at the rest. Hehe.

As for shoes with sport socks, I wonder where is here, because in Madrid, I always heard and hear it's a big no-no.

#36033 - 10/01/03 02:15 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Miguelito Offline

I mean sport shoes, snickers??, (playeras vamos)
About flip flops, if you have been working, maybe that's why you didn't see them, I still saw one girl yesterday with them, probably she didn't watch the weather forecast eek

#36034 - 10/02/03 07:31 PM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
I'm well aware Spaniards don't wear white 'sport' socks except in particular situations. I dressed accordingly while was there. And I wish I knew what the hell 'Bermudas' were.

I can tell you this, no one over here would be caught dead wearing those short-shorts, aka hip huggers that only extent about mid thigh, unless of course they were a male prostitute. wink Most men over here wear shorts to the knees or longer. Some young folk wear them all the way down to the ankle, with the white socks pulled up so you can't see the leg. A lot of them speak Spanish too, and have shaved heads, and wear white over-sized T-shirts...

#36035 - 10/03/03 07:27 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ha,ha.

That rapper style is simply a depressing look to me. I'd probably mistake those mates with beggars and give them some small change for a sandwich.

Bermudas. I thought it would be the same in English. In my dictionary: Diccionario.com appears as:

"bermudas
1 nombre masculino plural - Bermudas, Bermuda shorts."

It's precisely those longer shorts almost reaching you knee or (¡my God!) under your knee. eek

Are you sure those people were not in disguise or something?

:p

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1810 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments